iancheshire

Streaming networked music through Pi

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:50 am

I just got my unit today & I haven't done much besides install raspbian & SSH into it [i'm missing some peripherals]. but it did occur to me that a Pi might be able to improve my music listening capabilities.

i have my music stored on a Windows Home Server unit, and i generally play it by plugging my laptop into the stereo & streaming from the network drive. could i use Pi for this?

i'm very rusty w/ linux & totally new to working with Raspberry Pi so i have a number of questions:

-how would I access the drive on the pi?
-what media player should i use, preferring one that deals well with LAN streaming?
-can the pi handle streaming mp3s over wifi with a 150mbps dongle?
-if i ssh in to the pi to control it, will sound be output thru the pi itself? also would it be a good idea bandwidth-wise to do this, since it will also be streaming music?

ghans

Re: Streaming networked music through Pi

Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:03 am

MPD (Music Player Daemon) was concieved for exactly this purpose.
It also has Android apps for remote control.
I see no problems , but you'll be much better of with a proper book
on "Debian GNU/Linux 6" or at least v5 .

Many People have already done everything you asked for , so search
around (see my sig).

Keywords : MPD , howto mount network shares under Linux ,
howto use WiFi dongles with Raspberry Pi , aplay , mpg123,
WiFi dongle firmware.

In the meantime test Linux by burning the file http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
and then rebooting from CD.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

kodess

Re: Streaming networked music through Pi

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:28 pm

Yes a day late, but if you really want to do it easily just use squeezeplug...

http://squeezeplug.de/

Then install squeezeslave, and the Pi will function as a UPNP renderer, meaning that you can "Play To" the device.

Return to “Networking and servers”