josepz

Is there a new easy way to create a wifi access point with P

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:53 am

Too long for a subjet, I know, but I want to be specific.

Is there a new easy way to create a wifi access point with last jessie with pixel?

I followed the tutorials on this forum to use my rpi as media samba wifi server, I have the media files stored on an usb hard disc on my rpi.

This rpi is configured as a wifi access point, so I connect my tablet from another room to my rpi's wifi, and open the media files in its hd.My wife can do the same, and my son... I can see a film on a tablet, while my wife can read a book, or listen music on any phone or tablet at home, even on hollydays hotels, etc, just connecting to rpi's wifi.

This worked fine, but now I updated to pixel, keeping the same configuration, but the streaming is cutting from time to time... so I am asking if a new way to do it is included, and it is better do a clean installation and use another method for this... if not, I will come back to old jessie, because it worked fine.

Thanks

topguy

Re: Is there a new easy way to create a wifi access point wi

Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:12 pm

Its unlikely that Pixel has changed much since you are still able to connect as before.
Its hard for us to evaluate id any other methods are "better" since you have provided very little detail about how you have done it.
If you can find out why the streaming stops then it might be possible to fix.

josepz

Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:52 pm

I followed the method of installing dnsmasq and hostapd. Isn´t easy to do, it needs a lot of configuration, editing, etc.
What I mean is if there is an easy way to do the same, like openelec or another dist
I tried with openelec and is very easy to do the same, just check the access point option and choose a name for ssid....

Obviusly, raspbian is much better for me, is more complete. About the problem, I think there was any problem while updating from Jessie... I restaured my sd card and updated to pixel again an now it seems to work.

I can´t find any option to activate access point from Pixel wifi setup panel, so I think there is nothing new here from Jessie. :-)

Starlight5

Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:37 pm

@josepz there`s DietPi that has automatic installation options for hotspot, samba, and many other things. It doesn't include Pixel yet, but the updates are frequent so keep an eye on it. Or you can try dist-upgrade a DietPi install - it's Raspbian, after all.

Return to “Networking and servers”