jande777

Raspberry PI3 Access Point

Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:05 am

Hello friends,

I recently picked up a new raspberry PI 3 and decided that I would like to turn it into an access point using wlan0 (On board WIFI) as the access point for local devices and wlan1 (Edimax EW-7811Un) to connect directly to wifi at my house or a hotel for example.

I've been through numerous tutorials which have often been outdated to no success. I can typically get wlan0 to work as an access point and I'm able to connect to it, but with no internet connectivity. I understand that I need to somehow bridge these two nic's, but I'm not clear on how to go about it. I've also noticed that both these interfaces seem to switch places upon rebooting and don't stay consistent.

I have been using the following link for reference, but it only describes how to use a masquerade to bridge wlan0 and eth0.
https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/download ... -point.pdf

I would great appreciate any help I can get on this. I should warn that I am a noob with linux and I am still learning the basics.

peterlite

Re: Raspberry PI3 Access Point

Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:47 am

I tried, gave up and purchased a router for less than the cost of a Pi 3. Some hints:

A large slice of the documentation is for the old Wheezy release of Raspbian and Debian. The current versions of Raspbian, Ubuntu, and Debian are Jessie. Include jessie in your search string.

Bridging appears to be easy with Ethernet but not with Wifi. There are also problems with many Internet connections when they find funny addresses. You end up having to create a proper routing setup in the Pi. The tutorials for routing often lack explanations. I found information scattered between ArchLinux, Debian, Raspbian, and Ubuntu.

rajeshprabhu

Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:43 pm

Even I am having the same issue. Looks like all the tutorial are old and doesn't work on Jessie.
I have spent 20 days and tried all possible things. Almost clean installed 20 times and did setup. After reboot, I don't see internet working.

jande777

Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:39 pm

Thanks Peter for the pointers. I was actually looking at some of your previous posts where you were trying to figure this out and I was hoping you arrived at a solution haha.. I'm going to continue to search and try to find a way to do this. My plan was to also eventually use an openvpn client on the raspberry pi to bypass geo-restrictions when I'm traveling out of the country.

Rajesh you're not alone, I've tried so many different scripts and just end up doing another clean install to start back from scratch :roll:

Maybe somebody will jump in and offer up a solution! I'm still rather optimistic lol

macadamian8080

Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:10 pm

Hi guys,

I recently set up the raspberry pi as a wireless access point following this tutorial

and the setup was successful. My laptop was able to detect the access point and connect to it. However it has no internet connection, as in devices can connect to the hotspot but cannot actually use its connection to perform any tasks. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem??

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

macadamian8080

Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:15 pm

Hi guys,

I recently bought a pi and set it up to be an access point following this tutorial

The set up was successful and devices such as my laptop can detect the access point with ease. I am having a problem though where my laptop can connect to the hotspot however it says "connected,no internet". As in further tasks cannot be performed due to the lack of internet connectivity. Does anyone know how I can fix this??

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “Networking and servers”