towfique1

Server and cluster

Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:24 pm

How can i connect multiple pi 2 or 3 together as an single computer and use it as a private cloud server without any internet connection. So that i can use it as storage , more processing power and ram for my android devices. :) :) :)
Or is there any way that i can use multiple android device as cluster ?

Dutch_Master

Re: Server and cluster

Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:57 am

Read up on this, then investigate further:

http://linuxpmi.org/trac/

(it's outdated, but the functionality is now in the kernel, IIRC)

DougieLawson

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:32 am

Clusters don't work like that. Clusters work by taking a large workload, breaking it into small pieces and farming them out to run on each of the clustered nodes. A cluster doesn't add processing power, it doesn't add RAM and it doesn't add speed for a general purpose workload.

The clustered workload has to be optimised for clustering and that's the hard part of the puzzle. Can you divide your database into partitions so that each cluster works on just a subset of data, can you aggregate the results set?
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

dan3008

Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:28 am

I've been working on a cluster server recently. Personal opinion, a true "cluster" isnt a good option for a server. However, a "cluster like" set up can be really useful. I had 5 pi's (a 3 and 4 zeros) connected together, and used the 3 as a load balencer sending 2 requests to itself and 1 to each pi zero out of each 6 requests.

I dont have that setup any more, I had to give the zero's back to the people I borrowed them from, and the pi3 belongs to the local maker space.
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

DougieLawson

Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:33 am

The front-end load balancer with back-end servers is much the same as my model. The workload from the front-end system is divided out to run on the back-ends, they share the database and each back-end runs a single transaction given to it by the load balancer. The units of work are bigger than with a true "beowulf style" cluster but the end result is very similar.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

dan3008

Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:51 pm

I was having problems with using a central database for my site, so I never got round to doing that. Instead all the data was on all the pi's and changes (such as comments, I was running a blog) got pushed back to the main pi, and then out to the others

towfique1

Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:30 pm

Thanks guys for your valuable comments . I mean i want to know that is there any way that i can use cluster pi as a single computer and it can handle large app and my android phone as a screen which i can connect through wifi. :) :) :) :)

klricks

Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:56 pm

towfique1 wrote:Thanks guys for your valuable comments . I mean i want to know that is there any way that i can use cluster pi as a single computer and it can handle large app and my android phone as a screen which i can connect through wifi. :) :) :) :)
As already explained above the answer is NO.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

dan3008

Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:59 pm

That really depends what you want to run on it. If you just want it as a nas (network attached storage, basically an offline cloud), id just use one pi 3. And make it a WiFi access point. A cluster for a nas is overkill

Return to “Networking and servers”