brendanmyers

Configure wifi via bluetooth

Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:27 am

Hi everyone,

I don't know if anyone else had this problem, but I use my Pi in a few different locations, and changing wifi details can be a pain - especially if you're in a new location and can't plug an Ethernet cable in.

I threw together a simple tool that allows you to set the SSID and PSK over bluetooth. It's super basic at the moment - you need to have already paired your handset with your Pi - and I've written a basic Android app. Still, thought it might be useful/interesting for anyone here.

Python script to run on your Pi - https://github.com/brendan-myers/rpi3-wifi-conf
Android app (use Android Studio to build) - https://github.com/brendan-myers/rpi3-wifi-conf-android

Would be cool to hear what everyone thinks (improvements etc)

Cheers,
Brendan

gaetancollaud

Re: Configure wifi via bluetooth

Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:30 pm

Hi,

I didn't try it yet but I have the same issue as you. I will test this when I have time.

While quickly reading your code I saw nothing about listing the SSID (neither from the raspberry nor the Android device). This could be a nice to have.

Cheers

Gaétan

procount

Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:15 pm

Have you considered posting a compiled version of your Android app so that people who are prepared to risk it can install it without building it?
Maybe create a release on github and add the apk file as a binary to it'? (with appropriate warnings about sideloading etc) Or put it in Google play?
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

brendanmyers

Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:05 am

gaetancollaud wrote: While quickly reading your code I saw nothing about listing the SSID (neither from the raspberry nor the Android device). This could be a nice to have.
Definitely! At the moment it's all very basic - just something I threw together in an afternoon - with lots of room to make improvements. I'm glad other people have this same problem - it gives me a good reason to do more work on it!

brendanmyers

Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:07 am

procount wrote:Have you considered posting a compiled version of your Android app so that people who are prepared to risk it can install it without building it?
Maybe create a release on github and add the apk file as a binary to it'? (with appropriate warnings about sideloading etc) Or put it in Google play?
I figured that most wouldn't trust a sideloaded APK (I know I wouldn't), but if that's something that people would want then I'd be more than happy to do it. Play Store could be a good option though.

danielepiras

Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:51 pm

Hi,

Great Job! I found this project very useful and I like to help you Brendan (if you want).
I took the liberty to add the network scanning feature. So, in this way, a user can select the SSID directly from a select list.

I hope it's ok for you Brendan.

You can download the modified version of this project at this url:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BztmKC ... sp=sharing

Best,
Daniele

ejmina

Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:08 am

Hi Brendan,

Awesome script.

Do you mind messaging me and having a quick chat about your app + script?

Thanks!

MaryShah

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:39 am

Hi Brendan
this is really cool
I haven't tried it but I've been looking to something like this for a while
Have there been any developments since

thanks

wga22

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:59 am

Has anyone done something similar to this, but with a wifi hotspot?

Return to “Networking and servers”