eddiekaung
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 2:20 pm

Raspberry Pi for wireless data sharing

Sun May 29, 2016 3:23 pm

Hello guys,
I just bought a Raspberry Pi 3 three days ago without the knowledge of programming or networking.
I'm on a little project and I want to ask for your help. My general idea is that Raspberry pi creates Wifi hotspot and when a person connects the Wi-Fi, it would lead to a website where he can access to videos and ebooks stored in Raspberry Pi or external hard drive.
I have succeeded in making wifi hotspot through the tutorial from AdaFruit.
But I don't know how to continue to finish my idea. I think it has to do with Captive Portal but I can't find any complete tutorial online. So can you guys please help me?
Thanks

java
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:41 am

Re: Raspberry Pi for wireless data sharing

Mon May 30, 2016 7:53 am

I am also interested - want to put a few weeks worth of sermons on a RPi 3 - it having included Wi-Fi would make a nice "black box" just add a USB drive with sermons, plug in at mixer at church and members can download using their Wi-Fi enabled device of choice.

My thoughts is how to have them connect and get presented with a list of available sermons in mp3 format. Preferably just "double" tap on link and file download starts.

Know about "Pirate Box" project but that is a little overkill for this application.

User avatar
flatmax
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 10:36 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi for wireless data sharing

Mon May 30, 2016 9:05 am

This may help you :
http://askubuntu.com/questions/498487/u ... entication
Thoughts are to alter the content of the web authentication page to serve your content directly.

Best to try to find software which is pre-built or can easily be built with debian style package building scripts for the Raspberry Pi.

Matt
Check the Ultra 2 sound card - use our shop instead of Amazon Europe (Amazon USA is live).
Sound card for the Raspberry Pi with inbuilt microphone : www.audioinjector.net
Audio Inector Octo multitrack GPIO sound card

tastyPi
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:43 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi for wireless data sharing

Mon May 30, 2016 5:44 pm

You could try Zavvio Wireless Web Server ("Wi-Fi Yard Sign"), available at:

http://www.zavvio.com (currently redirected to http://cs0418.wix.com/zavvio)

It loads onto Pi 3 in a similar way as Noobs. After installing you can connect and upload your webpage content, which is then broadcast via Wi-Fi by the Pi. The download for Pi 3 is fully functional and free of charge.

java
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:41 am

Re: Raspberry Pi for wireless data sharing

Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:52 am

tastyPi wrote:You could try Zavvio Wireless Web Server ("Wi-Fi Yard Sign"), available at:

http://www.zavvio.com (currently redirected to http://cs0418.wix.com/zavvio)

It loads onto Pi 3 in a similar way as Noobs. After installing you can connect and upload your webpage content, which is then broadcast via Wi-Fi by the Pi. The download for Pi 3 is fully functional and free of charge.

Will look at that when I get home, thanks - ouch youtube videos :(.

Not one of the best ways for helping others

tastyPi
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:43 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi for wireless data sharing

Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:58 am

Hopefully it is helpful. Note: if you just want to share files, there is no need to create web page; you would only need to add the files to a zip file and upload it.

eddiekaung
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 2:20 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi for wireless data sharing

Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:33 pm

tastyPi wrote:Hopefully it is helpful. Note: if you just want to share files, there is no need to create web page; you would only need to add the files to a zip file and upload it.
I would like to create a webpage to make it user friendly. Cuz I want to make a mini eLibrary for my community with Raspberry Pi. U can give me any suggestion :)

tastyPi
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:43 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi for wireless data sharing

Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:31 am

After you create website with webpage(s) and associated files, the next step is to "publish" on web server. If you are using Zavvio, this is done by creating zip file and uploading it to the server (using the admin webpage of the server)
eddiekaung wrote:
tastyPi wrote:Hopefully it is helpful. Note: if you just want to share files, there is no need to create web page; you would only need to add the files to a zip file and upload it.
I would like to create a webpage to make it user friendly. Cuz I want to make a mini eLibrary for my community with Raspberry Pi. U can give me any suggestion :)

Return to “Networking and servers”