townsend

public wifi

Sat May 14, 2016 9:27 pm

I made this beautiful web-server based Ethernet tunnel out of a Raspberry Pi so that I could be guaranteed access to my office while in hotels that only allow TCP/IP 80 traffic. I had gotten stuck too many times in the past where hotels won't pass SSH or VPN and I wanted to piggy-back raw Ethernet traffic from my laptop straight to my office through this tunnel to give me 100% access to everything - printers, remote desktop, ssh, etc. etc. etc. I wanted the solution to be 100% transparent to windows so that windows would simply think I was home in my office.

So the Pi is connected to my laptop via a 1 foot piece of Ethernet cable and the Pi has its own WLAN connection. The ip number on the ethernet for the pi and for my laptop is set for 10.14.0.xxx to match the ip number range that my ITS department has set up in my office, and a Pi there acting like a webserver works together with the pi at the hotel to do all the magic. It works like a charm as long as the hotel wifi is either wide open or has a password. Where I bump into trouble is where there's no password but you get a page that asks you to accept terms. I'm running the Pi headless, so when this happens I have to fire up dillo with an X server running on the laptop so that I get a browser that I can use to see the screen and check the box to accept terms and conditions and click on the "go" button. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't.

The trouble is that I don't always get this screen. Its not a problem peculiar to the Pi, but it happens on my laptop itself often as well as my ipads. It happens at hotels, at McDonalds, and at other wifi access points. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to "force" the wireless router to present that page? It supposed to come automatically, but when it doesn't, what if anything can you do to "coax" it out? Someone suggested using the URL purple.com to get this to work, and sometimes that actually seems to do the trick but its not consistent and doesn't work everywhere.

In terms of technical details, my Pi shows itself as being associated to the correct access point.
-gt-

Return to “Networking and servers”