stopgaplabs

Confirmed Rpi3 AP+Client

Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:52 pm

I am able to get the pi3 to work in both station and client mode concurrently. Although, in a shotgun mess of frankenstien-ing various tutorials until it worked.

Basically setting up hostapd and iptables ala' http://www.timokorthals.de/?p=243

and running this

Code: Select all

sudo iw dev wlan0 interface add wlan1 type __ap
to get wlan1 up as an access point
and then starting hostapd w/

Code: Select all

sudo hostapd /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
will give you a usable access point wlan1 while still being able to ssh into your pi on whatever network wlan0 is on.
EDIT:(make sure the channel wlan0 is talking to is the channel you set up in hostapd for your wlan1 network)
Still need to get it so wlan1 comes up automatically after reboot. Afterwards, I'll try to start from scratch and post a good step by step if no one beats me to it.

Best,
Rob
Last edited by stopgaplabs on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

stopgaplabs

Re: Confirmed Rpi3 AP+Client

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:40 pm

As I mentioned above, I got the pi to connect to my home network through wlan0 and broadcast a separate network from wlan1.

What would cause the broadcast network to lose its info and start showing as another instance of the home network wlan0 is connected to? It also becomes unreachable. (edit:the pi becomes unreachable)

I went to run errands and left my pi on to see if it would hold up. It didn't. By the time I got home (~3 hours) my available networks was showing a copy of the original where my new r-pi network had been before. The little tablet that I had connected to the r-pi network was now on this second network named after the first.

I have it running again to see if I can catch when it happens to see what's actually going on but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Robbie

josepz

Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:24 pm

I want to use the included wifi chip on the RPi3 to access to a media USB hardisk pluged to the RPi3 from my tablet and phone by wifi.

Could I did it with this tutorial too? or I will need another usb wifi pen to do it?

stopgaplabs

Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:45 am

You definitely should be able to do it without an extra wifi dongle.

Return to “Networking and servers”