billybrowneyes

RPI-3 onboard Wifi w/hostapd - Can't hide SSID

Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:24 pm

I have an RPI-3 set up as a wifi mobile broadband router. This is installed in a surveillance vehicle. I'm using hostapd/dnsmasq on jessie lite 2016-02-26.

Problem is hiding the SSID of the RPI's on-board wifi adapter which I need to do for fairly obvious reasons. ignore_broadcast_ssid=1 in /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf appears to do nothing.

I have googled 'till I'm blue and it would appear that some wifi adapters indeed ignore this setting. Can anyone confirm this behavior for the RPI-3's adapter? And if confirmed, can anyone suggest a workaround (aside from an additional interface)?

DougieLawson

Re: RPI-3 onboard Wifi w/hostapd - Can't hide SSID

Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:12 pm

Read the fine sample config

Code: Select all

# Send empty SSID in beacons and ignore probe request frames that do not
# specify full SSID, i.e., require stations to know SSID.
# default: disabled (0)
# 1 = send empty (length=0) SSID in beacon and ignore probe request for
#     broadcast SSID
# 2 = clear SSID (ASCII 0), but keep the original length (this may be required
#     with some clients that do not support empty SSID) and ignore probe
#     requests for broadcast SSID
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
Try setting 0 or 2.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

billybrowneyes

Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:02 am

Read the fine sample config... Try setting 0 or 2.
I've tried 0,1 and 2. Broadcasts SSID regardless of this setting using the on-board adapter. Works fine using the Edimax adapter from my PI2 (which is my fallback plan) but I'm trying to avoid using a USB adapter.

joan

Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:04 am

Hiding the SSID has no useful security benefit. So if that's the reason you want to hide the SSID you are probably wasting your time looking for a solution.

billybrowneyes

Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:11 am

joan wrote:Hiding the SSID has no useful security benefit. So if that's the reason you want to hide the SSID you are probably wasting your time looking for a solution.
Understood. But as noted,
billybrowneyes wrote:This is installed in a surveillance vehicle.
...making an unfamiliar wifi SSID in it's vicinity a little curious to whomever it might be surveilling. Generally insurance cheats and philandering spouses don't sit around watching Wifi Analyzer. Nevertheless I'd rather the DVR in a van parked across the street not be a readily available selection when they reconnect their iPhone to their home router.

zealousd

Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:21 am

joan wrote:Hiding the SSID has no useful security benefit. So if that's the reason you want to hide the SSID you are probably wasting your time looking for a solution.
it kinda does, creating an Evil AP can create security issues :)
Raspberry Pi 3
Ubuntu Mate
Web Server

pawc

Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:10 am

Hello,
I've encountered the same problem as billybrowneyes has. Regardless the number set as ignore_broadcast_ssid in hostapd.conf file, mine RaspberryPi still broadcasts SSID. I am using RaspberryPi 3.

Did anyone succeed with this issue?

alphacake

Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:49 pm

I guess it is a problem with drivers, only some are compatible.

According to Hostapd author:
http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap ... 21474.html

squiregeek

Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:52 pm

I've been told that hiding the SSID can be useful if there are a large number of possible users in the area. In my case, there is a horse park where various shows are conducted. When ten thousand or more attendees show up with their smartphones and tablets turned on, the attempts by their computers to find and log on to any SSID they see can bog down the WLAN.

By hiding the SSID, only computers 'knowing' the name will attempt to log on. Have I been misinformed?

kirisu

Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:11 am

I heard a similar anecdote from a customer putting on a conference for several thousand people.
Even with encryption, they said all the devices trying to connect slowed down the wireless significantly.
They want to hide the SSID, but are encountering similar behavior as everyone else here for a Raspberry Pi 3 (changing the configuration doesn't end up hiding the ssid).

Return to “Networking and servers”