pi_eter

Raspberry Pi 3 - AP/Client

Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:50 am

Hi

I want to purchase a RPi 3 as it has the integrated Wifi Module. I have read in previous posts that it is possible for the integrated Wifi Module to act simultaneously as AP and Client Mode. Can someone please confirm this , as I was planning to buy an "additional" usb wifi adapter to serve this purpose (AP). If it its not required that would be much better for my purpose as I would like to only have a single usb cable powering the RPi 3.

DougieLawson

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 - AP/Client

Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:29 pm

It can't. It can run as an infrastructure client or an access point, not both simultenously. I'm not sure whether anyone has got ad-hoc running.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

pi_eter

Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:26 pm

Thanks for reply Dougie. I guess then my only option now is just to purchase a separate usb wifi dongle to serve clients in access point mode. I will then use the built-in antenna of the pi 3 for infrastructure-client mode. Thank you .

DougieLawson

Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:56 pm

I'd do it the other way round, folks have already got their Pi3s running as APs. Wire it to your switch and you won't even need a separate (slow) WiFi dongle.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

tharada

Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:06 pm

Dougie, can you elaborate on why the AP and client modes can't be used at the same time? My experience with the Pi 3 has been that it's possible, but the performance is terrible, as both the access point and the client connection are frequently lost. The symptoms look a lot like the power management issue people are talking about, except disabling power management doesn't help. Update: Sorry, the AP was a red herring. My WiFi seems to be equally unstable with it disabled.
Last edited by tharada on Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ziddey

Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:27 am

pi3's wifi does ap and client simultaneously just fine. Can't speak about performance since I'm not using it in a bandwidth intensive application. However, if the client's ap changes channels, it's not easy to deal with.

Return to “Networking and servers”