radix69

Tunneling, no public IP

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:09 am

Hi, I was wondering if something like this would be possible to do, I heard it is, but I don't know where to start.
I'm using my raspberry over SSH, so I'm controlling it over my NB. But this is possible only when my NB is connected to the home network (I don't have public IP)
But I heard, that somehow it is possible to control my raspberry even if I'm connecting outside my home network and even if I don't have public IP. And this thing should be done somehow by tunneling. Have you guys have any ideas how this could be done ??

Thanks for your replies

james968

Re: Tunneling, no public IP

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:51 am

Hi,

If you have internet access via a A/DSL, ISDN, Cable or somethign else which is always on, you do have an IP address. The thing is that it can change.

There are 2 things which need to be addressed to get access to the RP from the internet:

1. Traffic from the internet needs to get to your modem/firewall.
2. From your modem it needs to get to your RPi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
1. If you look at http://www.whatismyip.com/ you can find your external IP.   

This IP is may change from time to time though.  Also connecting with a number can sometimes be tiresome.  

Fortunately there is an easy work around which solves these 2 problems, it involves using a service called Dynamic DNS. This article explain how to do set it up: http://raspberrypipod.blogspot.nl/2012/ ... erver.html
(Note I've used DynDNS for several years, but did'nt write this).

2. You need to configure your Modem/Firewall to forward incoming SSH connections (port 22) to goto Port 22 on the IP address of your RPi.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Again this only applies if you have somethign with an always on connection.

Hope it helps.

thanks
James

Return to “Networking and servers”