roman87626

Torrent / Nas / Noob

Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi, i've just recently purchased a Raspberry Pi model B and it arrives in a few days (WOOOOO).
I was wondering if this was possible to do:

Connect the RPi to the router and use it to download and seed torrents directly to a NAS Drive (haven't bought one yet so im up for suggestions on a good NAS which works with Linux Ubuntu Dekstop and the RPi), The Pi would be left on 24/7 downloading whilst i'm at uni and hopefully i'd be able to control the torrents using Transmission from my phone or tablet when i'm out.

This is one thing i'd like to be able to do but also use the Nas drive to backup my computer to a separate folder, drag, drop and stream the downloaded torrents from NAS to PC, and also store my uni work on the NAS drive incase i forget my pen drive or something.

In anycase i just want to know if that's possible please, thank you :)

ghans

Re: Torrent / Nas / Noob

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:39 am

Well , any good NAS above 300 € supports UPnP , a big bunch of file transfer protocols, remote login (" did somebody say cloud ? - yeah , this is your uberkewl cloud completely under you own control !" blah blah) ,some kind of RAID , HTTP downloads , torrent downloads , DynDNS/NoIP , AJAX web-interface (and iOS and Android apps) and sometimes even rudimentary transcoding.

Why would you need a Pi ?
I suppose somebody could just create a distro which turns any USB HDD + Pi combination into exactly this kind of NAS.
But really , with such a NAS coming pre- setup and extensively tested , why would you need a Pi ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

roman87626

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:57 am

The reason for the pi is to make a low cost torrent box which I can leave on 24/7 As opposed to leaving the computer on, and also have my uni work backed up on the NAS in case something happens to my computer or pen drive.

ghans

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:40 am

Hmm - do you want a Pi and a NAS or do you want to use the Pi as a NAS ?
Because every second NAS has a integrated torrent downloader (and propably can seed too).

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

roman87626

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:18 am

I was thinking pi and nas, didn't know the nas would download torrents, how would that work?

Tavalin

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:24 am

In a lot of circumstances a NAS box is just a low powered linux box. In most instances the NAS can already do what you want to do with the Pi. I recently bought a D-Link DNS-320 and I've managed to install transmission bt on it and can log in remotely via my phone or pc to get it to download torrents.

roman87626

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:29 am

Ah that's pretty awesome, if that works out maybe I can use the pi for something else. Thanks

ghans

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:07 pm

Just have look at Buffalos Models
http://www.buffalo-technology.com/teras ... trade.html
They are every gadget junkies' wet dream.

Or the Thecus ones :
http://www.thecus.com/product_catalog.p ... TYPE_ID=12
And then there is Synology :
http://www.synology.com/products/index.php?lang=enu
And so on.

All of them come with BitTorrent , and a myriad of others features at your fingetips (even Phyton and PHP !) .
You'll surely find a solution which fits you budget and needs .

ghans

NB: I'm not afflaitied with any of these companies , just want to give you a overview

Nu7s

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:22 am

I'm a using a Zyxel NSA310 NAS:
http://www.zyxel.com/nl/nl/products_ser ... .shtml?t=p

Downloads direct-downloads, torrents, includes py-load (to download from hosts like rapidshare) and much more. The only thing it couldn't download were NZB files, but I solved that by installing FFP-stick with SABNZBD
http://zyxel.nas-central.org/wiki/FFP-stick

I'm now trying to convert my PI into a low-powered downloader because the NAS has more power consumption. 16watt NAS vs 5watt PI

Return to “Networking and servers”