Stips

SSH without internet

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:28 am

Hi guys I have unused router so i was woundering could I use it for ssh, and other stuff, but I am nos sure is it possible. Could I use it without having internet connection on it, so that I could use it for ssh,ftp on rpi an that stuff, then is should provably flash some firmware on it or something.

fruit-uk

Re: SSH without internet

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:30 am

I think you need to look at the specs of the specific router you have - then decide what you may be able to do with it

ghans

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:31 am

You dont need Internet connectivity to SSH inside a LAN. It should just work.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

fruit-uk

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:41 am

Agreed, but the term 'router' is often used to describe such things as ADSL modems too, which may not behave in the same way as a network router/switch

drgeoff

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:04 pm

If the 'router' has two or more LAN ports and either a WAN port or a port to be connected to a phone line then it is extremely unlikely not to contain.

1. an ethernet switch between the LAN ports.

2. a DHCP server connected to that switch.

Those are the only things necessary to connect RPi and computer and to ssh from the computer to RPi. No need for any new firmware flashed to the 'router', no need for an internet connection, no need to configure firewalls, port forwarding etc.

(Even the DHCP server is not necessary, but it makes for slighly less work and understanding.)

stderr

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:09 pm

fruit-uk wrote:Agreed, but the term 'router' is often used to describe such things as ADSL modems too, which may not behave in the same way as a network router/switch
They often contain a wifi router and now often a four point wired one. They essentially never, as far as I can tell, go to the trouble to try to prevent you from repurposing the things as normal hubs and whatnots. It's quite remarkable that people tend to toss these in the trash or the back closet and then go out and spend $200 on some nonsense from Linksys.

Return to “Networking and servers”