gigapouch

Minecraft 1.8.8 vanilla server on Ubuntu MATE?

Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:32 am

I was thinking it might be easier to run a vanilla Minecraft server on Ubuntu instead of Raspbian because of Ubuntu being more of a mainstream operating system. Does the Raspberry Pi 2B have enough processing power to run a vanilla Minecraft server with 5 slots on Ubuntu?

lazarus78

Re: Minecraft 1.8.8 vanilla server on Ubuntu MATE?

Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:52 am

Vanilla minecraft will not run on a pi at all as it is not designed to run on an ARM processor. Even if it could, it would be slow.

DougieLawson

Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:31 am

lazarus78 wrote:Vanilla minecraft will not run on a pi at all as it is not designed to run on an ARM processor. Even if it could, it would be slow.
Not quite true. The vanilla minecraft client won't run, but it's quite possible to run a minecraft/spigot server on a RPI2B. I've done that and had two clients connected on my LAN. It's a while ago but I think it was http://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-minecraft-server/ that we followed.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

gigapouch

Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:13 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
lazarus78 wrote:Vanilla minecraft will not run on a pi at all as it is not designed to run on an ARM processor. Even if it could, it would be slow.
Not quite true. The vanilla minecraft client won't run, but it's quite possible to run a minecraft/spigot server on a RPI2B. I've done that and had two clients connected on my LAN. It's a while ago but I think it was http://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-minecraft-server/ that we followed.
Cool! I wasn't planning on playing Minecraft itself on a Pi but running a server off of it. My server has 5 slots and probably will not change even if I get a faster connection.

gigapouch

Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:45 pm

Any other people that have tried this before?

DougieLawson

Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:03 am

gigapouch wrote:Any other people that have tried this before?
At least two of us. I even dumped a copy of my normal laptop world on my Raspberry and got it running for two of us to use on our LAN.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

gigapouch

Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:13 am

Wouldn't using Ubuntu for this be easier as it is more of a mainstream operating system though?

Return to “Networking and servers”