ladius

Raspberry Pi VPN - accessing from a restricted network

Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:39 pm

I've set up a VPN using openVPN on my Raspberry Pi so I can access my network and my samba shares while on my University's network, using this tutorial (I want to sync my documents to my samba shared USB Hard Drive on my Pi).

Tested the VPN at home through 3G on my phone and it worked, but while I'm accessing it on my University's network, it doesn't connect. Tried to find what ports are open there (used online scanners that search for commonly used ports) and the only port opened was 1723. Switched OpenVPN to use that port, tried again and it's still not working...

Any way to obfuscate OpenVPN traffic? Making it look like HTTPS or something? Is there another (possibly better and more secure) solution to access a samba drive from another network? I've read that samba isn't ready to be used outside local LAN's and it's not secure to do so, hence why I haven't considered that option yet.

DougieLawson

Re: Raspberry Pi VPN - accessing from a restricted network

Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:13 pm

You can run OpenVPN over TCP port 80 then it's virtually indistinguishable from zipped HTML content.

I've never tried it so you'll need to search around with Google for that.

Beware: you are probably violating your University's network acceptable use policy (AUP) so don't come moaning when they block your devices from connecting to their network.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

ladius

Re: Raspberry Pi VPN - accessing from a restricted network

Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:25 pm

DougieLawson wrote:You can run OpenVPN over TCP port 80 then it's virtually indistinguishable from zipped HTML content.

I've never tried it so you'll need to search around with Google for that.

Beware: you are probably violating your University's network acceptable use policy (AUP) so don't come moaning when they block your devices from connecting to their network.
Thanks for your advice. I'll try and change the port and I'll see what I can do from there.

Thanks for the word of warning too, but no issues on that: There is no AUP.

Return to “Networking and servers”