nightsd01

Transmitting an Internet Connection via Radio

Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:56 pm

I have some NRF24L01+ radio chips and I'm able to use them with the raspberry pi just fine. They have excellent range since they have pretty good antennas.

I would like to let one raspberry pi share it's internet connection with the other raspberry pi using these radios. The data transfer rate is very slow, of course, but that doesn't matter for my purposes. Can anyone provide any guidance on how I can start get this to work? Every time I try and google a solution for this, I am only seeing results for how to use the Pi for internet radio (music).

topguy

Re: Transmitting an Internet Connection via Radio

Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:54 am

How do you send and receive data from the radio chips ?
Is it one sender one receiver or is it one sender and all can hear ?

Old relevant protocols for you might be SLIP/PPP or X.25

nightsd01

Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:08 am

Basically I would have two pi's. One has a good Ethernet connection and a radio. The other Pi only has a radio. How can I share the first pi's internet connection with the second Pi? It would basically be like wifi except with my own radios and their own frequency/channel. Neither Pi would be called the "sender" in this setup. They would be both transmitter and receiver in order to provide a full blown internet connection. The radios are connected via SPI to the raspberry Pi.

I'm basically just asking to see if anyone has any advice on how I would go about doing this :)

ame

Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:17 am

You could try SLIP/PPP or maybe X.25.

Forgotten01

Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:07 am

okay I've never done this myself, but basically what you are looking for is called Packet Radio
http://www.febo.com/hamdocs/intronos.html

a quick google search shows multiple guides, it really depends on your personal preferences. regardless, it's gonna be slow, and insecure of course.

if you manage to get this working let me know, I might just try it myself!
Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems.
Scott Adams

Return to “Networking and servers”