alfista2600

Raspberry Pi connected to two SSID's - one as an access poin

Mon May 18, 2015 5:33 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a good guide on how to set up the following scenario:

1 - Raspberry Pi presents its own SSID to clients as a hotspot for to serve up local resources (airplay, automations, etc.) but not internet access (this should be as simple as leaving out the router address, and phones would use their own 4g connection to get internet).
2 - The same Raspberry Pi, using a second WiFi dongle, could optionally connect to another SSID when available for internet access, and could ideally can share that internet access to clients using the SSID in item #1.

Can anyone point me to a good guide on how to do this? Google searches often return results that are close but not quite what I need.

Thanks,

J

pconroy328

Re: Raspberry Pi connected to two SSID's - one as an access

Tue May 19, 2015 7:31 pm

I'm interested in almost the same thing. I'd like the Pi to (a) Wifi Connect to a phone's hotspot for Internet access and then (b) offer up an SSID for other devices.

For a variety of reasons, I don't want those other devices going directly to the phone's hotspot. I want them to connect to the RPi first. (I need to filter content, force Youtube videos to low-res, etc.)

I'm not sure if this can be done with 1 WiFi dongle or if I'll need two?
And any pointers to a guide or tutorial would be appreciated!

thank you

realies

Wed May 20, 2015 11:03 am

I've needed something similar not long ago and have written a blog post about it, you can check it here.

alfista2600

Tue May 26, 2015 12:12 pm

Awesome! Thanks! I got pretty close on my own using some wifi-to-ethernet tutorials. I could get it to work with my own wireless network (presenting a new network SSID) but could't get it to work with a keyless wireless network over the weekend. I'll check out your tutorial this week - be ready for some questions along the way!

Thanks

Jason

alfista2600

Tue May 26, 2015 11:22 pm

Realise - your post helped a lot. I haven't done the wpa_cli stuff yet, but that is next. Any tips on how to remove the router address when wpa_supplicant doesn't have a connection so a cellular connection would be used instead?

A couple comments about the post - the curly quotes make cut and paste difficult, and the concatenation of multiple commands makes it a bit harder to follow the process, but for a seasoned novice like me, I figured it out in no time.

realies

Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:55 pm

Hey, sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the comments, I have found that Wordpress encodes the curly quotes different to what they should be, which makes the commands fail. Unfortunately the free version does not support the option to disable the "smart quotes".

About the IP, I'm not really sure what you've meant as only the hotspot adapter network requires a static router address. The one controlled by wpa_supplicant gets its IP address from the router to which it connects. Other than that, if you want to be messing up with the static IP addresses, you could probably be using a pre-up trigger in the /etc/network/interfaces file that sorts them out in the way you need (most of my experience with rpi networking is what you've already read :D).

Return to “Networking and servers”