cabbers

Wireless script to check multiple AP's

Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:05 pm

Hi all
I have a few wireless AP's under my control, that I look after in work.They all broadcast the same SSID, and the same password-the idea being that people can "roam", and dont have to input multiple passwords etc. It's nothing fancy but occasionally, the wireless will stop working-by stop working, I mean the wireless is still broadcasting but for whatever reason, there is no route out to the Internet.A reboot of the offending router gets it working again.All this usually happens when I am out of the office ;-(

So I thought of using one of the Pi's in the office, with an adaptor that can be put in monitor mode -and the idea would be to have a script that periodically connects to each AP, gets an IP, and then does a ping to somewhere like http://www.google.com . Result written to a log file that can be scrutinised-or emailed even.

Can anybody steer me in the direction of of something that resembles this, and I can then work from there? I can put my Beginners book of Python to good use :-)

cheers

cabs

broo0ose

Re: Wireless script to check multiple AP's

Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:51 pm

It's a nice idea but as far as I know there isn't a way to get a client to connect to a particular AP.
unless you are thinking of placing a Pi under each AP.

The only way I can think of doing it would be if your APs can set up multiple SSIDs and then you could have a unique test SSID for each AP. The pi could then switch between SSIDs to test different APs. Meanwhile your original SSID would be the same for all APs to allow roaming.

DougieLawson

Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:02 pm

broo0ose wrote:It's a nice idea but as far as I know there isn't a way to get a client to connect to a particular AP.
Yes there is, as long as you explicitly define the MAC address (essid) for the AP you want to use.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

broo0ose

Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:20 pm

Return to “Networking and servers”