fendersk8911

web server stress test

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:47 pm

Hey all,

Just stress tested my svn/web server config and was surprised with the results. I was curious as to how many requests the pi could take before bombing out, so I hit my box with continuous http requests. After about 12,000 requests in 40 seconds, the server crashed. It was only a simple text site, but I was still very susprised with the results

I also tried this out with a simple page that pulled image locations from a MySQL table and displayed the images referenced on the table, along with some other info. This also incorporated some js. I should also note that the MySQL DB, along with the Apache docs folder and the svn folder, are being stored on a USB drive. I was doing other things, so I didn't want to try to kill the server this time, but it easily took 5000 requests within 15 seconds or so.

This is also without altering the ram split. Seems like a surprisingly formidable server for its size :-)

Holy One

Re: web server stress test

Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:17 am

It runs even better if you dump apache for something a little lighter and use flat file sql instead of the full fat distro of mysql. Altho tbh 5000 concurrent requests is something 90% of servers never have, so for the price it really is the dogs imho. :D

nicknml

Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:32 am

Did you also alter the memory split to provide as much RAM as possible?

ppuskari

Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:09 am

Makes me want to hook up a pi to our load farm at work and see how LoadRunner threads hold up on the pi. Honestly the rates already quoted are even in the 2 to 3x levels of some serious production server farms albeit I would want to see if it can sustain that kind of load for a long period. My guess is that there will be enough memory leakage and socket leakage that the limited ram gets consumed in the long term. Interesting.

fendersk8911

Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:34 am

Holy One, I thought so! I decided to start off with this configuration because I'm most familiar with it. I'll likely go to something more lightweight in the near future, just wanted to see what the Pi was capable of.

Nick, I haven't tested with altered RAM split. Also wasn't keeping an eye on the load average, which probably would have been interesting.

ppuskari, I'd be interested to see what your results are if you're able to do this. The amount of requests it was able to sustain really surprised me, so I'd love to see what an actual professional load running test yielded. I'm not sure how long it could sustain the load, but I can't imagine for very long. I only tried with a very fast burst.

Return to “Networking and servers”