ViolentMonk

raspberry2 a upgrade as a nas over raspberry1?

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:08 am

I was thinking about getting a raspberry 2 to replace my older one as a nas. Does more ram and a quad core help its ability to share files over smb? or I could just get a second old rasp1 and make another nas. :P hmm

excollier

Re: raspberry2 a upgrade as a nas over raspberry1?

Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:59 pm

My old Pi seems pretty good to me as a NAS, works quickly, so I don't see how the new board would be much quicker for such a simple task. But I stand to be corrected.

DougieLawson

Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:20 pm

ViolentMonk wrote: Does more ram and a quad core help its ability to share files over smb? or I could just get a second old rasp1 and make another nas. :P hmm
The bottleneck isn't the CPU, the bottleneck is the USB controller and the ethernet controller (which are both the same SMSC9514 device and the same on the B rev2, B+ & 2B). You can run a NAS on the weediest of the weedy CPUs.
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

xoopha

Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:03 pm

You might get a better boost in performance just by adding a gigabit Ethernet USB adapter to your current model. I think it was mikronauts who performed some tests with such a configuration and while you couldn't achieve anything near gigabit speeds due to the hub being 2.0 the net gain was still sizable.

molokai

Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:47 pm

I have used the B model as a router with a single physical ethernet, and it pretty much maxed out at about 90mbps (45 in and 45 out). This ALSO tended to max out the cpu.

I have since upgraded my broadband and wanted more throughput. I really planned to go for odroid-c1, which has gigabit ethernet, but the local gadget store had the rpi2 in stock :)

I tested with a usb gigabit ethernet adapter - iperf gave 220mbps to another machine, using about 50% cpu in 2 cores.

Then I tried running iperf on both USB GbE and the 100mbps simultaneously - but the SUM didn't surpass 220 mbps... bandwidth used by the built in ethernet was subtracted from the USB.

still, that is about 2x the bandwidth of the v1 while still allowing for cpu to do other things.

mikronauts

Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:18 pm

I tested how a Raspberry Pi 2 NAS performs, you may find the benchmarks useful.

http://www.mikronauts.com/raspberry-pi/ ... ent-howto/
ViolentMonk wrote:I was thinking about getting a raspberry 2 to replace my older one as a nas. Does more ram and a quad core help its ability to share files over smb? or I could just get a second old rasp1 and make another nas. :P hmm
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

ViolentMonk

Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:32 am

woo thanks! lots of info. looks like I'm just going to have two old rasps as copies of each-other. this question is just for reference but would putting a gbe adapter on an older rasp help or would that be just useless?

DougieLawson

Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:02 am

ViolentMonk wrote:woo thanks! lots of info. looks like I'm just going to have two old rasps as copies of each-other. this question is just for reference but would putting a gbe adapter on an older rasp help or would that be just useless?
That would probably have the same sort of improvement as doing it with a 2B.
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Return to “Networking and servers”