micko_fr

WIFI connection : share wifi connection

Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:10 pm

Good evening,

New to rapsberry I am currently facing a challenge configuring my RPI2 wifi connection.

I want to access to the web server on the RPI2 directly using wifi connection (wi-pi dongle), but I also want the RPI2 to be able to connect to the internet by wifi to download updates etc.

I succeded in configuring the RPI2 either as an Access point or access internet but not both at the same time.

I did not find any good tutorial on how to achieve this.

Any help is welcome.

Mick

DougieLawson

Re: WIFI connection : share wifi connection

Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:14 am

http://www.averagemanvsraspberrypi.com/ ... ry-pi.html

What you are doing doesn't need "connection sharing" it's just business as usual. You don't need to run another access point either your network already has one.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

micko_fr

Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:13 am

Thank you for the quick reply.

Connection to rpi2 is ok, but I want the rpi2 to display it s own ssid at the same time.

I was able to achieve this when I had Lan network (bridging the wlan0 to eth) but this time I have wifi network only and only the rpi2 will have access.

n device => rpi2 => wifi hotspot with Internet access.

Thanks again for your help.

realies

Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:57 am

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, you want to be able to broadcast a wireless hotspot and be connected to the internet via wireless in the same time, sharing the connection between both and also be able to access the web server on the Pi?

micko_fr

Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:57 am

@realies yes.
The main goal is for my devices to connect directly to the rpi2, which i was able to achieve, using hostapd and commenting wpa_supplicant lines.

Sometimes I need the rpi2 to connect to internet with wifi to download some dependencies.

Currently I have an "/etc/network/interfaces" configuration file for each situation, I was hoping to find a simple solution.

Is it why you used 2 dongles in your post ? http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 6&t=102948

thanks.

realies

Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:32 am

I'm working on a portable device that would be connecting to public wireless networks and would be controlled via a web interface on the hotspot. I'm currently making the whole configuration possible via a bash script, but in my case I need to be replacing the original hostapd binary as I'm using the Edimax EW-7811Un (Realtek RTL8188CUS chipset), which is not supported by the hostapd provided via the Raspbian repository. Would you be able to post the hardware that you're using? I would provide a manual on how this dual Wi-Fi adapter setup could be achieved shortly.

micko_fr

Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:42 am

Hi,
I am using Wi-PI OYR-COMFAST88.

We are trying to achieve the same thing. Maybe I should close this topic and continue with with yours.

realies

Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:43 pm

Hi, sorry for the delay, I've posted the guide here: https://realiesone.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... -adapters/

Return to “Networking and servers”