ronnyvdbr

Raspberry-Wifi-Router project

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:52 pm

Hi All, for those people who like to tinkerer with the Raspberry Pi and wireless networks I would like to share a project that i'm working on.

It's called the Raspberry-Wifi-Router project.

The project is hosted at: https://ronnyvdbr.github.io/

This project aims to build a descent Wifi Router out of a Raspberry Pi which is easily configurable via a dynamic web interface designed in HTML/PHP. This project came to life out of personal interest in hardware embedded design and software design in linux with PHP. I'm putting my desing onto Github to share my work with the open source community, hoping to get some people interested in this project to contribute, the ultimate goal is to create a fantastic web gui for a cheap Raspberry Pi used as Wifi Router.

cacti

Re: Raspberry-Wifi-Router project

Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:53 pm

Looks good. You can extent the project later to include monitoring, traffic (bandwidth) control, time based access (parental control) and even include a bridge mode for people that has problems with double nat. Are you planning to release an image?

ronnyvdbr

Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:36 am

Hi, thanks! The router is currently still in the early stages of development although some functionality is already implemented.
The router is already able to do route and bridge mode, but not yet capable of doing Nat, although that would not be difficult to implement.
Am hoping to implement some advanced networking like Web filtering, proxy ing, port forwarding, also make it work like a chili hotspot with coova if I get to it. Enough ideas to work on, just need to find the time to do it :-)
I'll check if I can upload an image somewhere and post it here.

jayuk20

Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:50 am

Looks pretty cool.

Making use of Squid & SquidGuard would be awesome. I currently use IPFire ARM but this project looks interesting,

Noggin01

Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:44 pm

This isn't quite related to your post, but I'm hoping you can help me as it relates to an issue I was having. I'm trying to make an Ethernet / WiFi bridge because I just bought an Ethernet / USB printer without WiFi. The WiFi adapter I have has an rtl8188eu chipset I believe (rtl8188ee is on the list of devices with cfg80211 driver, but not the rtl8188eu). I can get the bridge to come up briefly, but only AFTER I have a WiFi connection, and then the bridge goes down and I lose all network connectivity shortly after that.

Would this have anything to do with possibly not having a cfg80211 compatible device?

Maybe I should stop trying to get the bridge mode to work and just use your software...

ronnyvdbr

Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:14 pm

Hi, I guess your best bet for diagnosis would be to check your sys log.
tail -n 50 /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages
It will give u logging information which might help u with your issue.
The culprit in your case might be the ifplugd daemon which is reconfiguring stuff on detection of link stat.
U could try to stop it and check if your bridge stays up then.
service ifplugd stop

default_user8

Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:26 pm

Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

ronnyvdbr

Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:31 pm

Great, do u also have that in hard float?

Noggin01

Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:44 pm

ronnyvdbr wrote:Hi, I guess your best bet for diagnosis would be to check your sys log.
tail -n 50 /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages
It will give u logging information which might help u with your issue.
The culprit in your case might be the ifplugd daemon which is reconfiguring stuff on detection of link stat.
U could try to stop it and check if your bridge stays up then.
service ifplugd stop
Thanks! I'll give this a shot this weekend. I'm just learning how to use Linux and haven't quite got the hang of debugging stuff and I'm definitely not familiar with all of the daemons that are running.
Thanks, I did come across that and am considering that to be an option to try. I'd prefer to get it working on Raspbian, but I don't have a real reason as to why I want it working on Raspbian. I'm not going to be using it for anything else, I've got plenty of other RPi's and a BananaPro as well that I can install other services on.

ronnyvdbr

Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:29 pm

New and easy procedure on how to try the project can be found at:
https://ronnyvdbr.github.io

ronnyvdbr

Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:07 pm

For the people who want to download the image, v1.0 of the RaspberryWAP is ready for download at my site.

Just download, unzip, and write to sd card with win32diskimager.

http://ronnyvdbr.github.io/

ronnyvdbr

Fri May 08, 2015 7:38 pm

Hi, all, please note that version 1.3 of the wireless access point is ready.
This is now downloadable from https://ronnyvdbr.github.io

login page and captive portal functionality are now working as expected.

lucdig

Fri May 08, 2015 8:30 pm

Are you thinking about vpn (openvpn, pptp, etc...) configuration?

Thanks

ronnyvdbr

Sat May 09, 2015 6:21 am

lucdig wrote:Are you thinking about vpn (openvpn, pptp, etc...) configuration?

Thanks

Do u mean connect to a vpn and serve that connection on the wireless?
if u give me a description of what u need i'll take it into consideration.
pls post your question at github: https://github.com/ronnyvdbr/ronnyvdbr.github.io/issues

lucdig

Sat May 09, 2015 8:08 am

I don't have an account on github, sorry.

It can be interesting to have the possibility to configure vpn connections and having a tool to configure routes to use the vpn only for certain type of traffic. Basically, having a tool that can use the various options of "ip rule" and "ip route".

Thanks for your interest.
Regards

GiGo

Mon May 11, 2015 11:59 am

Hello,

This is my first post on here, I have just ordered a RPi as Im interested in making a VPN router after reading about it in MicroMart last week.

Came on here to see what projects were going on and whether there was a project for VPN's or Routers, yes there is :)

I would very much like a VPN portion added to the project.

Not sure if I would be able to help out, but I'm sure I could test things. I'm far from a novice user, but when it comes to Linux I am very much a n00b.

So if you could entertain me in listening to my ramblings about what I was thinking:

My idea was that I wanted to attached my fibre modem the 'BT one' (the HG612) to my RPi and then use the Pi as Router and a VPN server, as well as having a usb nic going to my current gigabit swtich for all cabled connections.

So how likely is it that I will be able to do all three things?

I've read a fair few VPN and Router guides but none that do both and none that say how to attached a modem to it.

Sorry for the very much n00b post. Any advice is received with much thanks.

Regards
GiGo

ronnyvdbr

Tue May 12, 2015 6:16 am

Hi, linux is very flexible on that level. I'm pretty sure that it can do what u are requesting.
Translating these functions into a working php Web gui is another thing off course.
Switching with a usb network adapter is possible by installing a bridge on the raspberry.
what kind of vpn functionality would u like to see in the project?
Server / client functionality, or both?
For which vpn implementation?
You have the Microsoft ppptp vpn, openvpn, open swan for ip sec, perhaps a bunch of others ...

I must say i'm currently not an owner of a usb lan adapter so I can't really test anything on that level. Vpn should be no problem, as far as my free time and loved ones allow me.

GiGo

Tue May 12, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi ronny,

Anything you can do would be great! Cilent and server vpn would be great. Openvpn would most likely be the best to start as I think that is the most popular, perhaps start with that and see how it goes?

I only mention the NIC as it would be nice to be able plug the modem in to the LAN port and have a wire to my switch rather than having to connect it to another access point then to thru a cable to the switch, but then again I suppose it doesn't really matter, I was more thinking of saving sockets and power.

Many thanks for your response, I'm just waiting on my new SD card to arrive and then I will be away in the world of RiP :D

TDGrant

Fri May 15, 2015 12:31 am

Ronny,

I've tried to download the image for the SD card but the link appears to be dead. Any ideas?

T

ronnyvdbr

Fri May 15, 2015 1:22 pm

Hi, indeed the link was dead. Please try again, the error has been corrected now.

TDGrant

Sun May 17, 2015 2:40 pm

Thanks, Ronny, I got it :D

I am am having an issue logging in as the admin, though. I can login in SSH with no problems, but when I attempt to login to view the web interface, it says my login is incorrect. Any ideas?

ronnyvdbr

Sun May 17, 2015 8:04 pm

Did you log in with admin and raspberry as password?
Note that both username and password are case sensitive in this case. Both should be typed in lowercase letters.

TDGrant

Sun May 17, 2015 8:31 pm

Yes, that is what I am doing. It is all very strange.

This is the read out:

Raspian GNU/Linux 7 raspberrypi ttyl

raspberrypi login: admin
Password:

Login incorrect
raspberrypi login:

ronnyvdbr

Sun May 17, 2015 8:57 pm

Hmm, that looks like a ssh output.
are you sure that u are talking about the Web page login?
The ssh login is root with password raspberry.

We're u able to login before?

TDGrant

Mon May 18, 2015 12:12 am

Hmm...well, I can login with both pi and root as the username and raspberry as the password. They both keep me in cmd-line environment.

To get to the web interface, though, I am to use admin as the username and raspberry as the password, but I get the incorrect login note when I use that username and password. Is there a cmd to bring up the web interface from the cmd-line environment while being logged in as root?

Return to “Networking and servers”