Pijim

Net Bios vs LLMNR issues?

Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:29 pm

I have just bought a compact router (https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-network ... l-wr902ac/) for a project I am doing that needs a small wifi network for a Pi4 and a number of Zeros to be able to communicate. I can connect them all to the network, but if I try and use VNC to connect between them it won't let me, nor does it seem that the remote GPIO system works. I can connect to them all from a windows 10 laptop connected to the network which also has VNC installed. I have tried using both hostnames and ip addresses to do the connection. Is it something to do with the fact that the router potentially doesn't support Net-Bios? Is there something I could install on the Pi's to get around this?

drgeoff

Re: Net Bios vs LLMNR issues?

Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:38 pm

Can you ping between the RPis?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

thagrol

Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:13 pm

Pijim wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:29 pm
I have tried using both hostnames and ip addresses to do the connection. Is it something to do with the fact that the router potentially doesn't support Net-Bios? Is there something I could install on the Pi's to get around this?
Unlikely. Netbios is pretty much a dead protocol these days. Using IP addresses bypasses it anyway.

You describe the device as a router. That implies it has two sides with NAT between them. Which side of the NAT/firewall the respective devices are could be a factor.

Another possibility if some dievices are WiFI and some are wired is a routing issues between wired and WiFi networks.
I'm a volunteer. Take me for granted or abuse my support and I will walk away

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

Pijim

Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:40 am

Thanks for that, I'll have a go at pinging them and see what happens.

All the pi's are on the same "side" of the router, connected to a wifi network, no cables.

I'd hoped to be able to get them working with hostnames instead of ip addresses as I also end up moving them between two wifi networks. One works with hostnames quite happily, but can't recreate it with the smaller more mobile wifi adapter.

thagrol

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:55 am

Might be a DNS/DHCP issue.

Have you tried hostname.local?
I'm a volunteer. Take me for granted or abuse my support and I will walk away

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

Return to “Networking and servers”