Coronach

Rpi Internet sharing via USB?

Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:39 pm

I tried looking this up, got a bunch of answers going the other way, but I'm still unclear about whether or not you can do it the way I need ... can you set up the Raspberry Pi to do internet connection sharing in the following manner:

The Intarwebs --> Cellular Hotspot --> Raspberry Pi --> USB cable --> Router --> LAN

I have everything in this chain except the link getting me from my phone (the hotspot) to the router. The router I want to use has one ethernet WAN input, but will also accept a WAN input from USB. I need the one WAN input that it has for Starlink (doing a blended connection with a Peplink router). I want to use the RPi's wireless to pick up the hotspot's wifi and push the conection to the router using USB.

Doable with a Rpi, or not?

epoch1970

Re: Rpi Internet sharing via USB?

Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:57 pm

Connect the phone to the router via USB?
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Coronach

Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:20 pm

Certainly doable, but less convenient than having it work as a hotspot, as the phone would still be used as a phone.

Another option would be a USB/ethernet dongle, USB plugs into the router, ethernet to the RPi (or, a windows box doing ICS, which is what I have right now).

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:43 pm

Coronach wrote:
I tried looking this up, got a bunch of answers going the other way, but I'm still unclear about whether or not you can do it the way I need ... can you set up the Raspberry Pi to do internet connection sharing in the following manner:

The Intarwebs --> Cellular Hotspot --> Raspberry Pi --> USB cable --> Router --> LAN

I have everything in this chain except the link getting me from my phone (the hotspot) to the router. The router I want to use has one ethernet WAN input, but will also accept a WAN input from USB. I need the one WAN input that it has for Starlink (doing a blended connection with a Peplink router). I want to use the RPi's wireless to pick up the hotspot's wifi and push the conection to the router using USB.

WAN and LAN are differing protocols, are you sure your Router can accept a USB Lan Connection ???

Coronach

Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:42 pm

The router I'm looking at is a peplink Balance 20X. Per Peplink, you can plug an Android phone into the USB port and tether, it will use the device as a WAN input.

thagrol

Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:31 am

Coronach wrote:

Depends on which model Pi, how it connects to the cellular hotspot, and what device(s) your router expects on its USB port.

If your router can work with a generic RNDIS or CDC USB ethernet dongle it might work with this: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=306121

If the connection between the Pi and the cellular hotspot is via WiFi you'll end up with an extra NAT layer between the router and the hotspot as it is not possible to add a WiFI interface in client mode to a network bridge.
I'm a volunteer. Take me for granted or abuse my support and I will walk away

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
Need help? https://github.com/thagrol/Guides

Return to “Networking and servers”