davidafuller01

Whole House VPN Bridge

Sat May 15, 2021 2:16 pm

There's a lot of documentation covering how to setup RPI as a VPN Server in various configurations, but I would like to run it as a Bridge as follows:
  • Wi-Fi Router <-> RPI <-> Cable Modem
  • Run WireGuard on RPI to create a tunnel from the RPI to a VPN provider (e.g., NordVPN, ExpressVPN, etc.)
  • All my traffic... laptops, wi-fi connected mobile devices, smart TVs, etc.... runs through the RPI and onwards to the VPN provider's server

I imagine this isn't an unusual configuration, but struggling in my searches to find an easy to implement "how to" guide. I have found a few items talking about turning RPI into an OpenWrt device, but I want to retain Raspberry OS so I can run other applications (e.g., Pi-hole). And I want to avoid the nosebleed of setting up clients on an array of devices (e.g., WireGuard for Vizio Smartcast OS? I think not). I must be using the wrong search terms as it would seem pretty simple to create this sort of VPN Bridge (Gateway?) in a home network using consumer networking devices.

My hardware:
  • Raspberry Pi 4 Model B with 2GB RAM and (naturally) running Buster
  • 32GB microSD
  • USB 3.0-to-GigE adapter

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Code: Select all

Bridge
+-------+    +-------+    +-------+
| Wi-Fi |--->|  RPI  |--->| Cable |
|  Rtr  |<---|       |<---| Modem |
+-------+    +-------+    +-------+

Code: Select all

Server
+-------+
|  RPI  |
|       |
+-------+
   | ^
   v |
+-------+    +-------+
| Wi-Fi |--->| Cable |
|  Rtr  |<---| Modem |
+-------+    +-------+
Reference: https://www.softether.org/4-docs/1-manu ... VPN_Bridge
Last edited by davidafuller01 on Sat May 15, 2021 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

epoch1970

Re: Whole House VPN Bridge

Sat May 15, 2021 3:14 pm

Wont be called a bridge, that's one thing.
I finally found a gateway setup that made sense here: https://iliasa.eu/wireguard-how-to-acce ... l-network/

As the author mentions: first step is getting the 2 VPN endpoints talking to each other. Don't bother routing anything before you've reached that stage.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Return to “Networking and servers”