imgamingbear

Balena Server Error

Fri May 07, 2021 1:43 am

Hello everyone,

Sorry that I'm posting a Balena thing on the Raspberry Pi forum, people just respond faster here and this project is somehow related to Raspberry Pi.

Anyways over the past ~5 days, I have been running a Minecraft server on Balena with the Raspberry Pi 4B (4GB). It works well but the only problem is that the public IP is... not working. And not working is an understatement. It is refusing to work. The only thing I haven't tried... is port forwarding. Which might be the main reason but I kinda doubt it since I just cannot connect to the IP. And I am physically incapable of port forwarding since I do not have the login info for my router and I'm not going to go through the hassle of getting it reset. At least not any time soon.

So anyways I would like to know if there's a simple fix, if I have to switch the server hosts, if I really have to port forward it, or if this is unsolvable.

I've tried: Deleting the Paper Jar file, resetting the server properties file, trying the local IP on different networks, etc.

I can send server logs tomorrow if that would help. And tomorrow as in less than 12 hours from now so anyways, that's all for now, hope there's a decent fix, even if it is switching from Balena to something else. (Which I hope can be a free service but beggars can't be choosers)
I am literally so uncool that it’s almost as if it were cool.

Well no... not really.

topguy

Re: Balena Server Error

Fri May 07, 2021 8:53 am

I have been running a Minecraft server on Balena
I think it would be helpful if you included a link that explained what that really means.

drgeoff

Fri May 07, 2021 9:41 am

topguy wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:53 am
I have been running a Minecraft server on Balena
I think it would be helpful if you included a link that explained what that really means.
I think it means the OS running on a RPi is BalenaOS. Which then probably means that the Minecraft server is running in a Docker container on the RPi. If correct, networking issues with Docker containers is out of my scope.

Even if not in a container, accessing a server from the public internet usually requires port forwarding on the router.

https://www.balena.io/os/
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

imgamingbear

Fri May 07, 2021 11:31 am

Yeah, I set it up running BalenaOS and then pushed the official server files which were on GitHub.

And thanks for the info because I guess I really have to reset my router now so I'll find a time to do it.

Well no... not really.

mpous_balena

Fri May 07, 2021 1:11 pm

Hello, this is Marc from balena.

I have seen similar issues on the balena forums such as https://forums.balena.io/t/help-with-mi ... ject/97128

Feel free to introduce more details on the balena forums so we can jump and help you, even the minecraft community.

Hope this helps!

imgamingbear

Wed May 19, 2021 8:34 pm

Sorry for the late update but I figured out the router password and I was able to forward the port and everything works fine now. I’ve tested it myself, had a few others come on, and it’s been going well. Thanks for the support!

Well no... not really.

Return to “Other”