jonathanmoneill

NOOB - Nextcloud (Or Equivalent) Without Port Forwarding

Wed May 05, 2021 10:09 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to configure an old Pi to run NextCloud on Raspberry Pi OS, accessed via an Apache web server. The thing is I want to be able to access this from outside my local network but from what I can understand port forwarding is really not a good idea. I've bought a domain in preparation through IONOS and set up DDNS through Dynu though there's every chance it's not correctly configured with my domain. I have configured ddclient to update Dynu when my external ip changes and that looks like it's working fine. Basically (my somewhat broad) questions are as follows:

Is there a way to set up an instance of NextCloud on a Pi that can be accessed from outside the network without using port forwarding?
Are there any alternative suggestions for turning an old pi and external HDD into a low maintenance file sharing device that can be accessed from anywhere via windows, unix and android devices?
Is setting up port forwarding really as bad as I think it is wrt security?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

epoch1970

Re: NOOB - Nextcloud (Or Equivalent) Without Port Forwarding

Thu May 06, 2021 9:50 pm

Is setting up port forwarding really as bad as I think it is wrt security?
Port forwarding isn’t the problem in itself.
Exposing an unmaintained server to the internet is a bad thing. Once it’s been compromised, if it can be used to attack other machine on the local network, it gets worse.

If you can’t take reasonable steps in ensuring the OS and application setups are secure, then you could access the server through a VPN software (generally secure) installed on your router (ditto).
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Return to “Networking and servers”