Alex_Landherr

Logging in on Headless Pi4B via VNC

Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:41 pm

I’m running an RPi4B 8GiB headless and am accessing it via VNC, naturally using a virtual desktop. My question is whether I can go to the main drop down menu and select
Logout
and then press
Logout
in the window that appears. Since I’m logging out will that mean that my VNC connection is terminated and I cannot access it like I used to to log in again? I haven’t tried yet and wanted to ask around.

I know that sending a shutdown command via VNC or rebooting it works fine as after boot the connection is re-established and I can go on with my stuff. As for sending a shutdown command I have tried and it turns of as expected, then I just pull out the PSU and plug it in again and the Pi4B boots and shortly thereafter I can access it again.
Helpful answers are appreciated. I usually respond to Tweets directed at me. JWST is the Sagrada Família of spacecrafts. I code in Python on Windows 10 and Raspberry Pi OS.

klricks

Re: Logging in on Headless Pi4B via VNC

Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:40 pm

Logout will completely remove the current virtual session. You then can issue vncserver via ssh or local keyboard to start a new session.

If you want to be able to return to the current session then use VNC in Service mode which connects to the real local desktop.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “Networking and servers”