GatCode

Raspberry and iPad - ultimate on the go machine possible?

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:26 am

Hi,
I would like to ask if it's possible to create a combination like in the image below.
The basic idea is that a raspberry is acting as a wifi access point, to which the iPad can connect via vnc. As soon as the vnc connection is established, the raspberry and the iPad can be thought of one thing and it can be used like a normal computer (connect to other wifi network over gui or use nmap,...) without any restrictions in networking and the iPad takes the part if the monitor.

Is this setup possible and if yes, has anyone a clue how I can set it up since it involves two wifi signals at once?
idea.jpg
idea.jpg (22.69 KiB) Viewed 152 times

deepo

Re: Raspberry and iPad - ultimate on the go machine possible?

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:06 am

What role does VNC have in your setup?
VNC is used for remotely controlling one computer from another computer (or iPad).

It should be possible to setup the RPi as a WiFi AP, but how would your RPi connect to the WAN?

/Mogens

GatCode

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:36 pm

VNC's only purpose in this setup is to act as a "cable" if you think of the raspberry as a PC and the iPad as the monitor. Since the raspberry can't be connected to the iPad via HDMI, I thought VNC could be a solution.

The idea is to create an AP (for the iPad) on the raspberry and also connect the raspberry via wifi to WAN.

Do you know what I mean?

deepo

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:40 pm

Yes, but it wasn't clear from your first post what you wanted to do on the RPi by remote controlling it.

Have you tried this guide?
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md

/Mogens

GatCode

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:46 pm

No, I will try that guide tomorrow.
The problem I think is that I can get an AP running on the raspberry where I can connect the iPad to, but then I can not connect the pi to another different wifi network. I need to split the wlan0 iface in two parts, where one is acting as an AP for the iPad and the other one is responsible for the normal raspberry pi internet connection.
The guide you linked above also contains information about a bridge from wlan0 to eth0 but I need something different and also from wlan0 to wlan0.

deepo

Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:27 pm

I don't think you can have the RPi both connect to one WLAN and provide another WLAN for your iPad.
Why not have both the iPad and the RPi connect to the same WLAN?
Then you should be able to connect to the RPi from your iPad using VNC.

/Mogens

Return to “Networking and servers”