prrobbins

Connecting Pi to Mac created "Computer to Computer Network"

Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:38 pm

Hi I am a new raspberrypi 3B+ user. I am trying to create a local network from my macbook pro, and then have my raspberry pi connect to it. I want to be able to ssh to my raspberry pi in remote locations with no internet access and not have to have a ethernet cable from my mac to my pi.

In the GUI I can see My_MacBook_Pro show up, and it does not have a little lock next to it. At first when I clicked it would give me an invalid argument error.

Then I eddited the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file to include

network={
ssid="My_MacBook_Pro"
key_mgmt=NONE
}

After this the invalid argument error no longer appeared, but when I click on it now nothing happens. (It does not look like the pi is joining the network from the GUI). Could this be to the channel number that I select when creating a network on my mac? How can I get my pi to connect to my Mac?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Connecting Pi to Mac created "Computer to Computer Network"

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:15 am

prrobbins wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:38 pm
Hi I am a new raspberrypi 3B+ user. I am trying to create a local network from my macbook pro, and then have my raspberry pi connect to it. I want to be able to ssh to my raspberry pi in remote locations with no internet access and not have to have a ethernet cable from my mac to my pi.

In the GUI I can see My_MacBook_Pro show up, and it does not have a little lock next to it. At first when I clicked it would give me an invalid argument error.

Then I eddited the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file to include

network={
ssid="My_MacBook_Pro"
key_mgmt=NONE
}

After this the invalid argument error no longer appeared, but when I click on it now nothing happens. (It does not look like the pi is joining the network from the GUI). Could this be to the channel number that I select when creating a network on my mac? How can I get my pi to connect to my Mac?

Have you created a WiFi Hotspot in OSX ?

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/s ... t-3490420/
Retired disgracefully.....

Return to “Networking and servers”