m3troidman

Raspberry pi Zero Nas speed

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:39 am

i searched the forum for the relating information but fount it lacking in a sense
i have a rpi 2 b setup as a nas, it suits fine for the speed i need (11mbs) but i recently ordered a zero for another project, how ever this project made me realize i could free up my existing rpi if i get the zero to match the same speed or close to it
i have the needed peripherals for the zero project already including a wifi dongle (powered usb hub etc) but i know this only gives speed of 2-3mbs i how ever have a usb ethernet connector which i am to test. but as i am awaiting my rpi zero i came to wonder wether someone has already tried this and could report a close estimate of the speeds achieved, the only thing close to the rpi zero speeds that gave some insight was a forum post containing these 2 links
(http://www.pidramble.com/wiki/benchmarks/networking
(https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff ... networking)

how ever these do not contain information on the zero board over usb ethernet

thank you for you for any insight and excuse my grammar as english is not my main language

small edit, i am currently using omv on my rpi 2b for nas, any suggestions towards better compability or speed differences are also appreciated.

itsmedoofer

Re: Raspberry pi Zero Nas speed

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:43 pm

Hi,

I cant comment on NAS speed, however I was using a ZeroW to run a VPN, the speeds weren't great, things did improve if I over-clocked the heck out of it, even then I don't think I hit 10Mbit, they were better than 2-3 though..

I think the issue you are seeing is that everything is essentially connected to one USB port, not too sure if there is much that can be done there..

For reference these were my overclock settings...

Code: Select all

arm_freq=1100
gpu_freq=500
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=500
sdram_schmoo=0x02000020
over_voltage=6 
sdram_over_voltage=2

m3troidman

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:25 am

itsmedoofer wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:43 pm
Hi,

I cant comment on NAS speed, however I was using a ZeroW to run a VPN, the speeds weren't great, things did improve if I over-clocked the heck out of it, even then I don't think I hit 10Mbit, they were better than 2-3 though..

I think the issue you are seeing is that everything is essentially connected to one USB port, not too sure if there is much that can be done there..

For reference these were my overclock settings...

Code: Select all

arm_freq=1100
gpu_freq=500
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=500
sdram_schmoo=0x02000020
over_voltage=6 
sdram_over_voltage=2
were you connected over wifi or wired ethernet over the usb, bus i wouldnt imagine the wired connection taking much of a hit considering the rpi 2 runs trough the same bus for ethernet and usb (using it as a point of reference due to owning one for comparison) i am still waiting on my zero to come trough the mail to do reference testing and will report for future reference when i get it sorted out

itsmedoofer

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi,

I was running over Wifi, the limiting factor with the ZeroW was the CPU usage, you may not experience this if you have no encryption on your NAS.

My VPN now runs on a Pi2 over Wifi, with that I easily see 20mbps, I am now limited by WiFi and Internet speeds....

Regards,

m3troidman

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:06 am

itsmedoofer wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:49 pm
Hi,

I was running over Wifi, the limiting factor with the ZeroW was the CPU usage, you may not experience this if you have no encryption on your NAS.

My VPN now runs on a Pi2 over Wifi, with that I easily see 20mbps, I am now limited by WiFi and Internet speeds....

Regards,
am i interpeting this right that your pi2 would go for a 2mb transfer rate for example in files or indeed 20mb and if so what kind of wireless gear are you using as this would provide to be a optimal setup for me to improve the pi2 in the end case then as i could settle for using the pi2 if i can bump up my speeds from 11.5mb to 20 using wireless over the network port which gives me the 11.5mb, i mainly use the pi2 for storing raw images on the drives in case i need to edit between 2 pc:s and the obvious backups of useless items

and i tend to drop my files to encrypted containers inside the nas therefore i dont have a encryption setup ongoing
if i can indeed boost the rpi2 i could just setup the zero for xbmc media usage.

might be a bit offtopic as i dont know personally but would you have any idea how offline proof the general nas setups are on default firewalls as i have no need to connect it to the internet just the local network between pcs, it is how ever connected over the router hence the possible "breach" risks

thank you for your replies,

itsmedoofer

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:28 pm

Hi,

I use the official Pi WiFi dongle, the Pi is quite close to the access point so the connection is good, 150Mbit up and down.

If I get a chance I will see if I can do some performance tests for you on my LAN...

Return to “Networking and servers”