Kevin2341

Can't see pi-hosted website from internet

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:04 am

I set up Apache last night on my Pi, verified it was working, and then bought a cheap domain to register my IP address on the internet. I thought I had it figured out this afternoon after typing in my website address into my browser at work and even being able to SSH into my Pi. I'm not quite sure why I'm able to see it at work, but no where else on the internet. The only reason I can think of why this would be is that I connect to my works' VPN at home to remote into my work station, but I don't understand enough about IT stuff to know why this is.

Here is a list of things I have done:
- Set a static IP on the Raspberry Pi
- Forwarded ports 22 and 80 on my home router to my Raspberry Pi at 192.168.0.50
- Checked http://canyouseeme.org/ and verified that they can see my two ports open. (I also set a very strong password onto the Raspberry Pi for obvious security reasons).
- Verified that I can access the website through my LAN.

Two things speak to me here, the Raspberry Pi is successfully serving the website as I'd expect from my LAN, therefore I highly doubt the issue is on the Pi itself. Second, I can check my ports online to verify they're forwarded correctly, and furthermore I was able to SSH into my Pi, make changes to the site, and see the changes when I entered my domain name into my work station's internet browser.

I thought perhaps my ISP did some trickery with their port blocking, and I tried using a nonstandard port to host my website, but got no results. Can anyone provide some insight as to what I could be doing wrong?

klricks

Re: Can't see pi-hosted website from internet

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:22 am

Many routers can't display web pages when the public URL is used to access a web server that originates from the routers own local network.
Try from a different network.
Turn off WIFI on your phone and try to access the web page via data plan.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

thagrol

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:14 pm

klricks wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:22 am
Turn off WIFI on your phone and try to access the web page via data plan.
Or find a vpn provider that offers a free trial and a web browser plugin and go through that.
Note to self: don't feed the trolls
If you believe "L'enfer, c'est les autres" (Hell is other people) have you considered that it may be of your own making?

L00

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:27 pm

Kevin2341 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:04 am
I set up Apache last night on my Pi, verified it was working, and then bought a cheap domain to register my IP address on the internet.
Kevin, did this start working for you yet?

I emphasized the part of your post that I did because it might have been the problem. When you register a domain name, it can sometimes take two days for that to propagate through the entire DNS system. If it's working while you're at work but not home during that initial 48 hours, it could be that while you're at work, your computer is using DNS servers that have been updated to reflect your domain registration, but the ones you use from home don't. When that's the problem, you can usually connect by using your public IP address rather than the domain name.

If that was the case, though, since I'm posting a week later, that should have sorted itself out by now.

Return to “Networking and servers”