Aravind_Raj

Is it any possible to convert analog phone to IP phone using Raspberry PI

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:47 am

I need IP Phone for VOIP purpose. I have Raspberry PI and analog phone. Is there any possibility for interfacing analog phone with Raspberry PI.

RaTTuS

Re: Is it any possible to convert analog phone to IP phone using Raspberry PI

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:51 am

not easily , it will need extra hardware
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

rpdom

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:02 pm

Much easier to either buy a dedicated IP phone, or get an app for your PC/mobile or maybe Pi that will turn it into an IP phone. I use Linphone on my Linux PC, Zoiper on my Adnroid mobile and a proper hardware IP phone as well.

Aravind_Raj

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:18 pm

rpdom wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:02 pm
Much easier to either buy a dedicated IP phone, or get an app for your PC/mobile or maybe Pi that will turn it into an IP phone. I use Linphone on my Linux PC, Zoiper on my Adnroid mobile and a proper hardware IP phone as well.
Your idea is a good one but I can't attend the call via head phone. I need to ring the analog phone. Is possible to connect buzzer with RPI.

rpdom

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:41 pm

I use a Yealink T46G for my main IP phone, but then I do work for a telecoms company that supports VoIP and need that phone when I am working from home.

The mobile apps (Zoiper, Bria and others) just work on your mobile phone like using it for normal calls. PC apps like Linphone can be used with internal microphone and speakers or a headset (actually headset is better on those), or the dedicated hardware phones are just like normal phones. Pick up handset and dial or answer (I usually use a bluetooth headset on mine).

Are you looking to use a VoIP provider, or an ordinary telephone line? To use IP you need an IP connection.

ghans

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:52 pm

The hardware you need is called "FXO adaptor". They cost at least as much as a Pi , so you could buy them for your PC directly anyway ...

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

drgeoff

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:03 pm

ghans wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:52 pm
The hardware you need is called "FXO adaptor". They cost at least as much as a Pi , so you could buy them for your PC directly anyway ...

ghans
You need an ATA (Analogue Telephone Adaptor).

It needs to have a FXS port. S is for station ie a phone

A FXO port connects to a telco line (POTS/PSTN). O is for Office, the US term for what the UK calls a telephone exchange.

Ports on ATAs are named by what they connect to.

eg http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBi200DS.pdf ($50 Amazon US. £40 Amazon UK)

hippy

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:59 pm

I would also suggest that, for most people, a dedicated VOIP phone which just plugs into the router, or a unit which sits between the router and an analogue phone, will be much easier and probably cheaper than trying to get an analogue phone connected to a Pi and used for VOIP.

rpdom

Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:38 pm

hippy wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:59 pm
I would also suggest that, for most people, a dedicated VOIP phone which just plugs into the router, or a unit which sits between the router and an analogue phone, will be much easier and probably cheaper than trying to get an analogue phone connected to a Pi and used for VOIP.
I would add to that if you are using DECT phones you can get a VoIP base station which will allow you to use your existing handsets over a VoIP connection. Some even have a dual PSTN and VoIP capability.

Return to “Networking and servers”