scooterjes

Custome image build

Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:15 am

I was looking for a way to make a custom/lean build of a Rpi image so that I can optimize it for gaming the reason I want to do it is I plan on using the Rpi almost 100% as a gaming/media device for my mother who is computeraphobic.

scooterjes

Re: Custome image build

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:34 pm

UPDATE: After I posted this originally I have found the Fedora Arm installer but for whatever reason it wont run on Windows 8 preview for some reason if I ever figure out out on my own I will do my best to update with instructions ect.

BakaOsaka

Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:26 pm

You could just use Debian, but make it run an application at startup that executes the emulator/game you want. This is a sample script I wrote in C that works well, though I imagine you could do much better with Python, something I don't know much about yet.

Code: Select all

//Sample C loader application
#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
	int count;
	puts("Please enter a number:\n1 for FCEU\n2 for gneogeo\n3 to initialise ALSA audio\nOr 4 to exit.");
	scanf("%d", &count);
	if (count == 1)
	{
		printf("Loading FCEU\n");
		system("fceu");
	}
	else if (count == 2)
	{
		printf("Loading gneogeo\n");
		system ("gneogeo");
	}
	else if (count == 3)
	{
		printf("Executing ALSA audio\n");
		system ("sudo modprobe snd_bcm2835");
		scanf("%d", &count);
	}
	else if (count == 4)
	{
		printf("Exiting...\n");
		return 0;
	}
}

scooterjes

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:41 pm

I was more thinking of making just launch the gui ldxe or whatever it is called so that my mother can pick from a few games like mahjongg/solitaire/ect the reason I wanted a "lean" build so that i could maximize the gaming performance by only loading up on startup what is necessary to do sound/web browse/game maybe even youtube or online video.

scooterjes

Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:09 am

Update again: After buying a new/larger/brand name memory card I finally got fedora up and running (mostly) still no luck on games(i have only tried 1) or sound but overall the Rpi seems to run faster with the generic install of fedora that it did with the debian image I downloaded from the main site so far so good so far.

Return to “Media centres”