Luny

Wanted: Monty Mole

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:36 am

Hey hey,

I've just managed to get my really, really old, unfinished project 'Monty Mole Remake' (see http://montymole.sourceforge.net/index.html ) compiled on my shiny new Pi.

I started this in Y2K and never really got around to finishing it. The code is embarrassingly old hap and very badly formed C++. But, it runs very smoothly and a nice speed, so might be worth completing in order to add to growing list of games for the Pi. Any votes for/against a Monty Mole Remake on the Pi? I'll get a tar together of the demo for anyone interested.

Luny
Luny

BakaOsaka

Re: Wanted: Monty Mole

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:17 am

This is great! I believe the most important question is:

Does it have the original music? :D

Luny

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:34 am

Funny you should say that. I found an MP3 of Colonel Bogey and added that into the background, a lon time ago. However the music bombed out on last nights build, so I need to check that out. But hopefully the answer should be Yes! :)
Luny

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:05 am

If it's just for your interest then no problem, but if you are intending distributing the game, you should check the license on that mp3. (If you already have then I apologise for doubting you.) An mp3 of a modern performance owned by a big publisher may well land you in trouble if you re-publish it without license.

I would have thought a midi file would be closer to the spirit anyway (and it would be much smaller too.) On the other hand none of the huge number I found have anything like a copyright statement or license. *sigh*. All of them sound rubbish, which is the whole point ;-) (I've not ever heard of the game in question, but I've played enough old games to know that.)

Theoretically, you would also need a license for the music itself; it is in copyright until 2015.

Luny

Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:31 am

Good point Rurwin. I can't even remember where I got it from, so maybe not. I'm not very musical, but maybe in this big huge RasPi community there is a musician who wants some small fame on a game? :)

A guy I worked with years ago did me his own version of popcorn for my Pyjamarama remake. Boy that was brilliant. Very modern but still keeping in with the old.
Luny

Luny

Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:11 pm

Well, I've started to go back into my code and update the CVS source.
The project is available on SourceForge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/montymole/
where you can download sources, subscribe and get updates. This requires libSDL and libSDL-image to be installed.

I've also uploaded a tar file of it compiled for RasPi. Download 'montymoleARM_DEMO.tgz'
https://sourceforge.net/projects/montym ... t/download
and untar:
>tar zxfv montymoleARM_DEMO.tgz

CD into the folder monty and run ./montymole.
If it complains about the framebuffer, try:
> sudo ./montymole

Use Q - Up, A - Down, O - Left, P - right, SPACE to jump.

It is a demo, without any death and probably a few bugs :)

Luny
Luny

JustThisGuy

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:42 pm

RE: music rights

A friend ran into some of this when making a short film. The rights to use a particular song was free (as in beer). So they went for it. Then they found that the recording they used was NOT free. So they set up a kickstarter-like site and raised the requisite payment in a few days. So, be careful.

I suggest going down to your local school that has a marching band. Talk to the Band Director, He might know off the top of his head whether The Colonel is fair game and he might even be cajoled into having the band play it for you. It is amazing what you can get people to do just by giving them a Credit. All you'd have to do is find someone with a mic to record it (with your Pi?). Please, oh please do include a whistling verse. ;)

Disclaimer: Never played Monty Mole but sounds like a good fit for the Pi.
Any conversation about a sufficiently complex subject is indistinguishable from babble.

Luny

Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:09 pm

JustThisGuyu wrote:RE: music rights

A friend ran into some of this when making a short film. The rights to use a particular song was free (as in beer). So they went for it. Then they found that the recording they used was NOT free. So they set up a kickstarter-like site and raised the requisite payment in a few days. So, be careful.

I suggest going down to your local school that has a marching band. Talk to the Band Director, He might know off the top of his head whether The Colonel is fair game and he might even be cajoled into having the band play it for you. It is amazing what you can get people to do just by giving them a Credit. All you'd have to do is find someone with a mic to record it (with your Pi?). Please, oh please do include a whistling verse. ;)
Thanks for those wise words, I shall keep this in mind. To be honest I'm probably on shaky ground as Peter Harrup (the original author) is back on the scene and I think writing Monty stuff for the Android / iOS. Of course being a remake I'm not charging or be earning any money. This is purely for fun and it probably wont take of in a big way. But on a moral point, I will stop if anyone questions it. Maybe I should just write something original :)

Disclaimer: Never played Monty Mole but sounds like a good fit for the Pi.
Now is your chance :)

Luny
Luny

Return to “Media centres”