cslowik

VW Pi

Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:41 pm

Hey all. Just wanted to post about my first Pi project (i have a whole list of what my next Pi purchases will go towards, like most of you im sure)

My aim is to build an in-dash media center with touchscreen to replace my factory soundsystem in my 2010 Jetta. It will have to be able to play media from the sd card. I only really care about music, so I'm not worried about having more than 20+ gigs of storage at a time. Ideal goal would be to have wifi capability, so i can transfer files sitting in my car, get small wireless keyboard to work (been looking at some ps3 ones), and be able to connect to the internet through wifi+phone for streaming media.

So far, I have the double-din bezel, 7" mini touch screen (assembled with double din brackets, ready to install), an auto-switching power supply.

To-Do:
  • Build extension for sd slot, and modify bezel to accommodate slot for external access while the pi stays in-dash
  • Get touchscreen working. Have linux drivers already.
  • Get compatible wifi adapter and confirm it works
  • Build power supply. Will need to connect to both screen and raspi
  • Get compatible wireless keyboard (THIS looks promising. could be stored in dash cubby)
  • Get HDMI->VGA adapter for better picture quality (currently using rca..)
  • Confirm audio output
  • Confirm external factory amp. If audio was coming amplified from factory radio, will have to purchase amp module. Pretty sure I'm good here tho
pictures.. will post more as the project progresses, and a final video to show it off. plan is to have it done by the 8th of july.

JeremyF

Re: VW Pi

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:02 pm

Maybe you've already seen it, but VGA converters can be found here: http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... y_adapters . Pretty inexpensive.

Anyway, love the project.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

rob_brum

Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:48 pm

I was thinking of doing a Similar thing for my 2011 golf, care to share links for the bezel/power supply and touchscreen ?

arewetheredad

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:31 pm

As far as I know, you have to boot from the SD card but can modify the kernel to use a USB drive as the root file system. Here is a link to an SD card socket mounted such that you can make connections to it and potentially either extend the existing one or perhaps add another: http://www.byvac.com/bv3/index.php?rout ... uct_id=122
There are some other handy bits and bobs there too.

itimpi

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:47 pm

You do not need to modify the kernel to use a USB device for the root system. Just modify cmdline.txt in the boot partition to give the location of the root file system.

arewetheredad

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:55 pm

itimpi wrote:You do not need to modify the kernel to use a USB device for the root system. Just modify cmdline.txt in the boot partition to give the location of the root file system.
I stand corrected, I have not done this myself - just based on what I have read.

cslowik

Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:46 pm

JeremyF wrote:Maybe you've already seen it, but VGA converters can be found here: http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... y_adapters . Pretty inexpensive.
Anyway, love the project.
Yea, i think i have one laying around. Its cheap enough though that its worth buying one to save the time i'd spend finding the one i have. Its a haystack of cables etc in my office. And thanks, I'm glad there are people interested!
rob_brum wrote:I was thinking of doing a Similar thing for my 2011 golf, care to share links for the bezel/power supply and touchscreen ?
Absolutely:
7" Touchscreen Assembly - This thing is really nice cuz the screen is already assembled in the vehicle mounting frame with sensors and ports repositioned to the front in case you want to use them
Automatic Startup/Shutdown Power Controller - Pretty sure this is crucial for an in-dash installation if you want to avoid the need for external switches.
Dash Bezel - For that factory-flush fit. This seller appears to still have a bunch. But either way, you have the Scosche model number on that listing in case you need to find it somewhere else.

If I come across anything else I need to buy for this install (other than generic things, memory cards etc) I'll be sure to list it.

arewetheredad wrote:As far as I know, you have to boot from the SD card but can modify the kernel to use a USB drive as the root file system. Here is a link to an SD card socket mounted such that you can make connections to it and potentially either extend the existing one or perhaps add another: http://www.byvac.com/bv3/index.php?rout ... uct_id=122
There are some other handy bits and bobs there too.
itimpi wrote:You do not need to modify the kernel to use a USB device for the root system. Just modify cmdline.txt in the boot partition to give the location of the root file system.
Thanks guys. I'm comfortable having the SD card be the only form of storage right now, especially since I'm relocating the SD slot right next to the screen bezel on the dash.

I love to hear peoples' ideas though, so keep em coming! =] And hopefully I'll give you guys some ideas as well.

So, on to the updates from this morning.

Here's a picture of the power controller:

And here's the quickie schematic I drew up for the power connections: full size image
(i'm still operating under the assumption that there was an external factory amp for my radio.. i should probably figure that out soon!)

One thing I thought about this morning is a resume capability. Using the auto power controller, I won't have to worry about turning on the computer, it will turn on with the car. However, it will also turn off with the car. I can set a delay, but does anyone know if there's a way to save a state in OpenELEC or any other distro so that when power is restored it will resume? Another option would be to put only the screen on the power circuit and give the raspi constant power.. but I would have to make sure the standby current draw is extremely low. Anyone have specs on that?

cslowik

Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:04 pm

Oh actually, was reading the specs more on the power controller and they indicate that the computer on signal connection is essential because otherwise it may cut power due to the computer being off. I'll just hook it up to the 12v coming from the power controller itself, and loop it back in. Since the Vout is only active when the ignition is on, this should be fine. I'll just assume the raspi is on. The diagram below is a little incorrect, the blue line should connect to the vout, but you get the idea. There's a diode in there that came with the device, apparently its required too.

full size diagram

Also just noticed the keyboard i linked in the OP is bluetooth only and doesnt come with a receiver. Back to the search!

cslowik

Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:14 pm

still trying to get the touchscreen to work.. just confused as hell lol.

anyone have a touch screen working successfully yet? havent found anything.

anotherbloke

Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:21 pm

I am doing a similar thing for my Lupo GTi, the touchscreen is the main problem i have at the moment. I have it setup with a wireless keyboard and touchpad.

JeremyF

Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:25 pm

{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

cslowik

Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:22 pm

is that a driver as well? looks like just a calibration program.

i'd love to be able to calibrate the monitor cuz that would mean its working at least! =]

ghans

Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:01 pm

Post as much info as possible !
Whats written on the back of the screen ? Model ? On the display driver circuit ?
Whats on the Windows Driver CD ? Whats written on the Label of it ?

It could help us helping you .

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

alexbrown

Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:57 pm

A hdmi to vga will not work. I got one for mine and realised it was a mistake. However if your monitor has dvi a hdmi to dvi will work i can confirm this as I got one :) hope this was helpful

JeremyF

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:02 pm

alexbrown wrote:A hdmi to vga will not work. I got one for mine and realised it was a mistake. However if your monitor has dvi a hdmi to dvi will work i can confirm this as I got one :) hope this was helpful
There are some active ones, but yes, the majority are nothing.

cslowik

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:13 pm

here are the linux drivers

i'm not sure how to get them installed on this version of OpenElec.. thinking i'd like to run openelec from a debian isntallation anyway so i can more easily browse the internet etc =]

ghans

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:39 pm

I did have a look into it , and I think you should be able to rebuild the modules on the Pi.
The instructions are provided and should help you (esp. "How to build the kernel module")

Someone more knowledgeable has to comment.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

JeremyF

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:59 pm

OpenELEC you can still SSH into though, to access a terminal. You may not have to build XBMC in Debian...

cslowik

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:04 pm

ghans wrote:I did have a look into it , and I think you should be able to rebuild the modules on the Pi.
The instructions are provided and should help you (esp. "How to build the kernel module")
JeremyF wrote:OpenELEC you can still SSH into though, to access a terminal. You may not have to build XBMC in Debian...
so.... i should get the drivers onto a usb or the storage portion of my sd card, ssh into it from my desktop and build the kernel module?

JeremyF

Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:39 am

cslowik wrote:
ghans wrote:I did have a look into it , and I think you should be able to rebuild the modules on the Pi.
JeremyF wrote:OpenELEC you can still SSH into though, to access a terminal. You may not have to build XBMC in Debian...
so.... i should get the drivers onto a usb or the storage portion of my sd card, ssh into it from my desktop and build the kernel module?
Assuming you want to build it on the Pi (you could also cross-compile, but I recommend compiling on device)

cslowik

Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:45 am

ok. sounds like i have some learning to do. well played, raspberry pi! =]

i kid, i like learning.

Annesville

Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:59 pm

rob_brum wrote:I was thinking of doing a Similar thing for my 2011 golf, care to share links for the bezel/power supply and touchscreen ?
mp3car does a complete unit for your Golf and other vehicles too, albeit at a cost ;) (I'm not affiliated to them, and I don't have $300 to blow on a screen either!)

cslowik

Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:22 pm

They do have a complete assembled unit, but the only difference between the $200 i spent and the $300 their thing costs, is I bought the screen and bezel separate. The screen is still pre-assembled.

EDIT: (actually supposedly the screen i bought is brighter. it definitely doesnt disappoint!)

petesgarden

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:08 pm

Like this project idea - my Pi is about to be shipped and this is one of the projects I'm considering - hooking it into my MKV Rabbit.

cslowik

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:13 pm

nice! My setup will be fairly straightforward, once i get this touchscreen working. Using the schematics I posted above, I'll easily be able to tap into the power lines that were originally running to the radio, and control the power to the pi. =]

i just won't have am/fm or a cd player anymore. but i feel like its akin to ditching a tape player in favor of a cd!

Return to “Media centres”