nitram

Problem mounting external drive

Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:32 pm

Dear Thomas et al.,

I have encountered a problem while installing SqueezePlug 7.5 on a Raspberry Pi B. I have specified that an external harddrive is mounted on hd1, but the drive doesn't show up either in the LMS configuration, or when I list files at the command line. Instead, inside the hd1 folder I find listed all the folders at the root level of the Pi!

This harddrive is one I've used before with an earlier version of SqueezePlug, and I am also using it with LMS on an iBook. I don't think the problem is with the drive.

I started a discussion on the Slimdevices forum (link below), but they recommended I take it to Thomas' forum. I've tried editing the smb.conf file, following advice there, but this hasn't changed anything. I've also tried reinstalling SqueezePlug from scratch, and reinstalling LSM.

<http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... ble/page53>

Any help would be welcomed!

swaz

Re: Problem mounting external drive

Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:25 am

Hi Nitram,

Did you ever resolve this?
Dear Thomas et al.,

I have encountered a problem while installing SqueezePlug 7.5 on a Raspberry Pi B. I have specified that an external harddrive is mounted on hd1, but the drive doesn't show up either in the LMS configuration, or when I list files at the command line. Instead, inside the hd1 folder I find listed all the folders at the root level of the Pi!

This harddrive is one I've used before with an earlier version of SqueezePlug, and I am also using it with LMS on an iBook. I don't think the problem is with the drive.

I started a discussion on the Slimdevices forum (link below), but they recommended I take it to Thomas' forum. I've tried editing the smb.conf file, following advice there, but this hasn't changed anything. I've also tried reinstalling SqueezePlug from scratch, and reinstalling LSM.

<http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... ble/page53>

Any help would be welcomed!
I have exactly the same issue on version 7 install. Mounts a usb stick fine but not external hard drives. I have tried two different hard drives and using a PiHut powered usb hub but no joy :( Any help greatly appreciated becuase at the minute I am out of ideas...

Cheers
Stu

nitram

Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:38 am

Hi Stu,

I think the problem is that the Pi drops its internet connection when the USB device is connected. This seems to be a documented bug with version B. So I've tried installing while connected with a physical keyboard instead of via SSH. However, one of the USB connectors on my Pi is also dodgy, so I cannot connect both the keyboard and the drive at the same time! I'm waiting for a B+ to become available at the local store, meanwhile still thinking about how to work around both problems.

swaz

Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:55 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I will continue reading up on it all. I have the B+ model. Also just tried a powered external hard drive but still the same.

So are you saying if I connect via hdmi, usb keyboard, etc (not via SSH) it will mount? I might be able to set that up and try it if so.

Thanks!
Stu

nitram

Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:36 pm

The B+ shouldn't have the problem of dropping wifi/internet when a USB device is connected, or so I have read, so I'm not sure if you and I have the some situation. But I would try with a USB keyboard and see if that solves your problem.

Return to “Media centres”