truehl

SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi version 7.50

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:32 am

Hi folks,

Sorry for absent the last months!

I'm very happy to tell you that SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi version 7.50 is now ready for download. SqueezePlug version 7.50 is an modified version of version 7.00. <strong>It's compatible with the new Plus versions of Raspberry Pi</strong>. So it should boot now on every Raspberry Pi Device. Additionally some other little bugs are fixed with this version.

There is no update from version 7 is available!

What is SqueezePlug?
SqueezePlug is a platform for different Media-Servers:
- Logitech Media Server (f.k.a. Slimserver, SqueezeBox Server) in the latest version
- MiniDLNA
- MPD

And SqueezePlug is a platform for different Media-clients or players:
- SqueezeLite
- SqueezeSlave
- Shairport
And SqueezePlug offers some other services:
- VNC Server

All these servers and players are ready to install by just a click.

Included features are:
- Scripts for all SqueezePlug configurations
- Expand RootFS automatically
- Change Timezone, Hostname, Password, SSH-Keys,
- Configure Network Settings incl. WiFi support
- Network configuration files are now available on the /boot (FAT) partition so you can change them from you Windows PC
- Change Overclocking and Memory Spilt
- Handling of external drives
- Cloning SD-Cards
- Samba Server already included
- HD-Idle included
- Update functions included
- Test and Change audio settings

All official Raspbian / Wheezy features like X-Server are available, nothing is purged by default.

How to install SqueezePlug?
The Image fits on every 4 GB SD-Card! You should expand the SD-Card to it's full size during the initial setup.

1. Download, unzip and burn the sd-card
2. Start the Pi and find out the IP-Address (e.g. from an attached monitor, from your router or a tools like Advanced IP Scanner v2).
3. login with user: root and pw: nosoup4u
4. Follow the initial steps
a. Update SqueezePlug
b. Expand the Root-Filesystem to the maximum SD-Card size
5. type "setup" and choose the options you need and the scripts will do the rest for you.

Please visit my blog to download the new image: http:/squeezeplug.de
Look for:
squeezeplug_rpi_7.50.img

Have fun,
Greetings,
Thomas

Feel free to donate my SqueezePlug project:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... M49ARYWK6C
thanks a lot!
Last edited by truehl on Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

Paul Webster

Re: SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi version 7.50

Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:21 pm

Welcome back - more than a month though - last post was in July.
I did try to make contact a few times to see if you were OK.
Good to see the firmware update now done which will help some of the new users who were having problems if they had only a "+" RPi.

truehl

Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:23 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Welcome back - more than a month though - last post was in July.
Sorry, I didn't remember the plural of month, I've just corrected it! :oops:
truehl

nitram

Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:18 am

Dear Thomas et al.,

I've had problems knowing where to post this; apologies to those who have read this already!

I have encountered a problem while installing SqueezePlug 7.5 on a Raspberry Pi B. I have specified that an external harddrive is mounted on hd1, but the drive doesn't show up either in the LMS configuration, or when I list files at the command line. Instead, inside the hd1 folder I find listed what look like the folders at the root level of the Pi! When I dig into them, however, they have different contents - so it seems to me that I have somehow created a whole bunch of folders within hd1, instead of whatever should be there to recognize the harddrive.

This harddrive is one I've used before with an earlier version of SqueezePlug, and I am also using it with LMS on an iBook, so I don't think the problem is with the drive.

I started a discussion on the Slimdevices forum (link below), but they recommended I take it directly to Thomas! I've tried editing the smb.conf file, following advice there, but this hasn't changed anything. I've also tried reinstalling SqueezePlug from scratch, and reinstalling LSM. No change. I suspect I am doing something wrong when I configure the USB-connected drive, but I don't know how to fix the problem.

<http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... ble/page53>

Any help would be welcomed!

KeysAndSax

Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:37 am

Hi Thomas and forum,
Thanx for the nice work from the past and best wishes for 2015!

My RPi has been 1,5 years running on SP 6 until the SD card filesystem got corrupted after a power failure.
After remembering that the .img should be placed with an USB image tool the installation of 7.50 and unpacking was easy. Integration with Samba and Spotify went smoothly.

I am facing problems with the digital inputs on my Transporter (for sound in home cinema).
- inputs can be selected from various menus
- no sound from output (there is no hardware problem, input is still working from pre-Spotify software)
- plugin "Digital inputs for Transporter" can be selected, messagebox to restart Squeezeplug is coming up but restart keeps hanging.
In the logging of LMS there is no line containing information on this plugin.

Is there a way that I can fix this?
Thanx!
Ed.
Qnap TS209pro - RPi B hf - Transporter - pre+power Rotel 990 - Infinity Kappa 100 :-)

truehl

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:12 am

nitram wrote:Dear Thomas et al.,

I've had problems knowing where to post this; apologies to those who have read this already!

I have encountered a problem while installing SqueezePlug 7.5 on a Raspberry Pi B. I have specified that an external harddrive is mounted on hd1, but the drive doesn't show up either in the LMS configuration, or when I list files at the command line. Instead, inside the hd1 folder I find listed what look like the folders at the root level of the Pi! When I dig into them, however, they have different contents - so it seems to me that I have somehow created a whole bunch of folders within hd1, instead of whatever should be there to recognize the harddrive.

This harddrive is one I've used before with an earlier version of SqueezePlug, and I am also using it with LMS on an iBook, so I don't think the problem is with the drive.

I started a discussion on the Slimdevices forum (link below), but they recommended I take it directly to Thomas! I've tried editing the smb.conf file, following advice there, but this hasn't changed anything. I've also tried reinstalling SqueezePlug from scratch, and reinstalling LSM. No change. I suspect I am doing something wrong when I configure the USB-connected drive, but I don't know how to fix the problem.

<http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... ble/page53>

Any help would be welcomed!
Are You available via Skype? Maybe we find an easy solution! Please write a PM.
Thomas
truehl

truehl

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:13 am

KeysAndSax wrote:Hi Thomas and forum,
Thanx for the nice work from the past and best wishes for 2015!

My RPi has been 1,5 years running on SP 6 until the SD card filesystem got corrupted after a power failure.
After remembering that the .img should be placed with an USB image tool the installation of 7.50 and unpacking was easy. Integration with Samba and Spotify went smoothly.

I am facing problems with the digital inputs on my Transporter (for sound in home cinema).
- inputs can be selected from various menus
- no sound from output (there is no hardware problem, input is still working from pre-Spotify software)
- plugin "Digital inputs for Transporter" can be selected, messagebox to restart Squeezeplug is coming up but restart keeps hanging.
In the logging of LMS there is no line containing information on this plugin.

Is there a way that I can fix this?
Thanx!
Ed.
Sorry, no idea!
truehl

KeysAndSax

Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:03 am

Hi All,
No sound from digital inputs on Transporter on Squeezeplug 7.50: Solved!

I normally have the output volume in LMS on a fixed level of 100%, so I never look at this volume because the pre amp is the regulator. Followed tips of forum to reset the xylinx with digital inputs unset and set. Gave no results.
By occasion I checked the output volume when digital inputs were selected: it was on 0% altough for the other sources it was on 100%. So in the end it was an easy job by turning the volume up.
Checked; during a xilinx reset this digital input volume stays on the same level.

Kinds regards, Ed
Qnap TS209pro - RPi B hf - Transporter - pre+power Rotel 990 - Infinity Kappa 100 :-)

pezz77

Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:33 pm

Hi,

I've bought a Raspberry Pi B+ with the new Wolfson Cirrus logic sound card for Raspberry Pi B+. Then I've try to install the new squeezeplug firmware v. 7.50 with the driver for the old Wolfson sound card because the new drivers don't yet exist in the squeezeplug system.

The result: the sound card doesn't want to work.
Anyone have any ideas for the solution?

Thanks.

Pezz77

c2r

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:42 pm

Hello,

I've only got the b with wolfson, not the b+

It works for me, however, I could not get it to work if I did an apt-get update (which updates the kernel from x.10 to x.12).

I think this is because the wolfson driver hack is built into the older kernel and if you do an apt-get update and then revert the kernel, it breaks dependencies and the pi refuses to start. I don't have the time to look at this further at the moment, and got mine working by doing the following:

1. reflash SD card with the 7.5 image
2. run through the full install process for the player, ensuring that you select the wolfson - you should see it replace the firmware and get the message regarding performing no further updates.
3. remember to select the lineout for the wolfson - by default it is not selected, so you won't hear anything! This is within the player set up as well.

Cheers
Chris

pezz77

Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:55 am

I've try the squeezeplug 7.5 to re-flash but it still doesn't work.

I think the problem is that the new version of squeezeplug works with the new kernel and the new sound card works with the old kernel. And when I install the drivers for the new soundcard Wolfson tells me:
"The Wolfson Card installation is in beta stadium right now. To use the Wolfson Card some massive changes to your SqueezePlug device have to be made. The kernel has to be changed and some other massive changes have to be made. So be sure you like to do these changes now. The process is not reversible. Please start the installation only if your Wolfson device is already connected to your Raspberry Pi."

After installing the Wolfson Card driver and rebooting the system do not work more USB ports and the Ethernet port.

Perhaps we need to use the new drivers. At this link (http://downloads.element14.com/download ... nAudioCard) there is an image of rasbian OS with new drivers sound card already intalled. If someone better than me would be able to extract them for use with squeezeplug , would be great and perhaps solve the problem.

Thanks.

Pezz77

c2r

Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:35 pm

Have you checked that the wolfson is connected correctly and works with that image?

pezz77

Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:51 pm

Certainly , the card works perfectly with this raspbian image. If someone is able to extract the drivers and make them usable with squeezeplug the problem would be solved.
Attachments
myscreenshot.png
myscreenshot.png (24.86 KiB) Viewed 10171 times

c2r

Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:58 pm

Are you using the pi for server and player? If just player, you could perhaps try installing squeezelite on the working image?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspber ... /?ALLSTEPS

Sam_Y

Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:46 pm

pezz77 wrote:Certainly , the card works perfectly with this raspbian image. If someone is able to extract the drivers and make them usable with squeezeplug the problem would be solved.
Please post here if you get it working. This is the card I was planning to order for my b+ with squeezeplug after giving up on getting 24/96 audio working over hdmi.

pezz77

Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:49 pm

Sam_Y wrote:
pezz77 wrote:Certainly , the card works perfectly with this raspbian image. If someone is able to extract the drivers and make them usable with squeezeplug the problem would be solved.
Please post here if you get it working. This is the card I was planning to order for my b+ with squeezeplug after giving up on getting 24/96 audio working over hdmi.
This sound card works on raspian os . You can find the image file at this link:(http://downloads.element14.com/download ... nAudioCard) but not work with squeezeplug. It means that after you should install logitech media server software and squeezelite software . But I don't think that will ever work as squeezeplug software .

Sam_Y

Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:47 pm

So do you have it running on your b+ under raspbian with lms and squeezelite? If so, what advantage would be gained by having it supported in squeezeplug? Just easier installation?

pezz77

Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:25 am

Sam_Y wrote:So do you have it running on your b+ under raspbian with lms and squeezelite? If so, what advantage would be gained by having it supported in squeezeplug? Just easier installation?
Yes, the advantage would be the installation and the configuration and security that functions properly . I haven't tried to install the LMS and the squeezelite into the rasbian os image. I've just installed the os, I've tried and tested that the sound card Cirrus Logic perfectly work together with the new raspberry pi b+ and with the new kernel. And fortunately everything works perfectly. I find that it would be nice if someone could extract the driver for this sound card to install in squeezeplug.

titobustillo

Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:41 am

Hi. I have an issue with my WD usb hdd. It never spins-down, and it is hardware capable of auto-idle after several minutes of inactivity. I have checked all the settings in LMS, installed hd-idle, without succeed. Is there any other options to check? Thanks in advance.

m-h

Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:18 pm

I have had a few tries with squeezeplug 7.5 on my B+, at first all with the onboard audio, and I had no issues.
However now my Cirrus Logic ( Wolfson ) cards arrived I am not able to get it working with squeezeplug.
Sure I had to uninstall and re-install squeezelite to get the wolfson options available to me.
But ethernet and USB keybord communication to the Raspi + stops when it reboots.
After 3 attempts I switched to the Farnell supplied image, wich has the drivers scripts and kernel image all together. And this plus Gerrelt his fine tutorial made the Raspi B+ working as squeezelite client. And it now works though the Cirrus Logic board

I fear Thomas has to help us to get this combination supported from his squeezeplug V7.51?
As a tip I saw quite some 3.10 stuff copied during the tweak. But the boot image was 3.12 ?

I really enjoy my setup now, but will reflash the SD to help Thomas and the squeezeplug development.
Greetz

Man in a van

Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:29 am

As well as asking for support from Thomas, I hope folk with problems are also complaining to the board manufacturer about their apparent lack of interest in supplying/incorporating the necessary drivers for the 'pi kernel.

atb

Ronnie.

m-h

Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:27 am

Hi Ronnie

The people at Cirrus / Wolfson are working to get their drivers into the regular Debian Wheezy stream.
But currently it is either to patch your own kernel ( 3.10 and 3.12 ) or to use the provided and complete 3.12 image.
This is working for me, but I miss the luxury of Thomas his time and efforts saving menu.
Greetz , MH

Axolotl

Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:33 pm

Apologies if this is not the right place for this, but this is my first post on this forum, and I couldn't find anywhere better.

I am trying to get Squeezeplug to work with Squeezelite on a Pi B with the Wofson sound card installed.

I can't get beyond the Squeezeplug sound test stage.

I have created an SD card with the Squeezeplug 7.50 image downloaded from the Squeezeplug site, and run through the setup procedure, updated and installed Squeezelite and configured the Wolfson card for the Line out option, all that seems to have worked and the system boots o.k. with wireless LAN connection but when I try the sound test, all I get is an error message:

aplay: Main:602: audio open error Device or resource busy

and straight back to the Squeezeplug setup menu.

Can anyone tell me where to start solving this? I am not familiar with Linux (yet), so idiot's instructions might help here...

Thanks,
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but do you realise that what I wrote is not what I meant?

Paul Webster

Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:24 pm

Is there a chance that Squeezelite is running and has taken control of the card already?

notshy

Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:40 am

Hi guys,

I've already posted this over at the Squeeze Box forums but I hope you don't mind me asking here also.

Does anyone know if it is possible to configure an IQAudio card to play mono out via the phono jacks instead of stereo? I'd like to use a single speaker off the Pi if possible. Can I configure it via the ALSA settings? Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly received.

Cheers,
Simon

Return to “Media centres”