gordonendersby

squeezeplug for raspberry pi is the business

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:20 pm

Ive just successfully run squeezeplug for raspberry pi.
http://www.squeezeplug.eu/?p=201
What a great way to have a cheap network attached web radio and music player.

Works a treat.
I have it accessing my music collection on my nas drive, so only need a 4mb sd card just for the os, no music stored on the raspi. Also installed the bbc iplayer plugins for bbc radio.
Im just using pc speakers plugged in to the 3.5inch sound out socket at the moment.
Id like to use a set of USB speakers eventually for better sound quality as the analog sound has the pop at the beginning of each track played as mentioned in other posts.
Id like to use a wifi adapter as well so it can be placed anywhere in the house.
Then box it all up for the waf (wife acceptance factor) with power supply.

Im controlling it via a free app on my android phone, "SqueezeDroid" over my home network.

I did this in very little time, most of the time was waiting for the download of the image and writing the sd card. setting the squeezeplug software up was easy following the instructions on the squeezeplug website.

Great use of the raspi at home.

Gordon

welshblob

Re: squeezeplug for raspberry pi is the business

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:13 pm

Sounds like just what I want .... need to have a play.

Cheers
Rob

Khan

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:31 pm

By the way, has anyone accessed mediatomb (or any other SqueezePlug media servers) from external networks? If yes, what would be the recommended way? (performance/security-wise) OpenVPN maybe?

truehl

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:46 pm

Khan wrote:By the way, has anyone accessed mediatomb (or any other SqueezePlug media servers) from external networks? If yes, what would be the recommended way? (performance/security-wise) OpenVPN maybe?
I use Squeezebox (LMS) over the Internet. It works very well with IPeng!

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

Argon

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:27 pm

someone has the Youtube plugin working? I see the cover but it stops immediately then...

Khan

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:45 pm

truehl wrote:
Khan wrote:By the way, has anyone accessed mediatomb (or any other SqueezePlug media servers) from external networks? If yes, what would be the recommended way? (performance/security-wise) OpenVPN maybe?
I use Squeezebox (LMS) over the Internet. It works very well with IPeng!

Greetings,
Thomas
Hmmm... Actually I was referring to video files but thanks anyway ;)

bascule

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:36 am

I concur. Squeezeplug was exactly what I needed. I have my pi headless running Twonky 24/7 with a 2tb hdd serving movies to our xbox 360s.

I chose Twonky as I had issues with the other media servers. They installed fine, but didn't index all my movies. Most likely the way I encoded them I suspect.
- learning the hard way. Who needs to walk when running is more fun

gordonendersby

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:28 am

I just wanted it to play my mp3 collection from my nas drive.
So I also installed Squeezeslave to play the music directly from the Raspberry Pi running squeezeplug.

Before I found Squeezeplug, squeezeslave and the android app, I had planned to write my own player in perl with an lcd screen and a few buttons as a menu. But as both the wife and I have smart phones to hand the jobs all been done for me to a very high standard.

I can still see a good case for controls directly on the box, but If I just want to mute/control the volume I can do that with the speaker controls. Would be nice to be able to pause the player and display whats being played on a small lcd screen so maybe Ill look into the squeezeplug api and add that later.

Gordon

Brizzel

Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:10 pm

This is exactly what I wanted to use my Pi for ie to play music & radio through my amp. However, the "pop" issue sounds like a stopper, since I'm sure it will drive me nuts if this happens at the start of every song. Is there a fix for it?

gordonendersby

Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:33 pm

From what Ive read so far the pop is only on the analog jack.
Something to do with the pwm used to create the analog audio.
So maybe that is fixable at some point as it must be the drivers causing it.
If you split the audio out of the hdmi socket there is no pop and the audio is better quality all round.

Im going to try a set of linux supported usb speakers, or if they dont work get an hdmi splitter to connect speakers to that audio. but I need to do a bit of reading up on the hdmi audio as I think its digital. not sure what the implications are?

Gordon

truehl

Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:09 pm

gordonendersby wrote:From what Ive read so far the pop is only on the analog jack.
I can confirm that! You won't have these pops with HDMI. Sound output from HDMI is great and cristal clear.
truehl

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:49 pm

Brizzel wrote:This is exactly what I wanted to use my Pi for ie to play music & radio through my amp. However, the "pop" issue sounds like a stopper, since I'm sure it will drive me nuts if this happens at the start of every song. Is there a fix for it?
Try updating firmware and report back.
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... g_firmware

allactionrob

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:45 am

I too got Squeezeplug and Squeezeslave running on the R Pi recently, and am impressed with what it can do, especially using Logitech's own Android app to control it. I used the BBC iPlayer plugin to solve the problem of "squeaky" radio stations, although I guess that will only work for BBC channels - but that's fine for me.

However, I have yet to play any of my MP3 collection! I can't seem to get the Samba connection to my NAS (where the files are) to be visible to LMS. When logged in as root, I can easily see the /music folder and all of its contents, but when browsing to it from within LMS, in order to do a scan, the folder is not there. From what I've read it's a permissions problem and I need to set the owner/group so that the user squeezeboxserver can see it, using chown and/or chmod, but even logged in as root I get 'permission denied' when I try to change things. It seems my linux skills are a bit rusty!

Any ideas folks?

drmarkb

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:08 am

@ allactionrob, when your running chmod are you using the -R switch to push the permission change down to subfolders and files? you might have read access to the top level folder but no permissions to anything inside it.

eg: chmod -R xxx

(where xxx is the permission you want to push)
Also, the -R is case sensitive.

allactionrob

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:52 am

@drmarkb: No, I hadn't been using -R, and I will certainly try it, but I don't think it will help. LMS can't even see the top level folder, let alone subfolders. And chmod fails with a 'permission denied' error which I think means that root doesn't have the user/group rights to make the change.

Curiously, when I use miniDLNA instead of LMS everything is fine and the folder is visible. But then I guess the miniDLNA process is started by a different user (who clearly has read permission), though I haven't checked...

tawalker

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:56 pm

Has anyone here built Scqueezeslave on Arch/ARM? I tried building the package from the AUR, but I recall (it was some weeks ago) that the build failed due to an "unsupported architecture" (despite me having amended the PKGBUILD script to include "arm".

I already have a Squeezebox Duet and Logitech Media Centre running on our Synology NAS, so it would be great if I could get Squeezeslave running on our Pi as well.

Many thanks :)
---
Raspberry Pi Model 3B+ (2019) ("ayeka") - CentOS
Raspberry Pi Zero W (2018) ("mass") - Raspbian
Raspberry Pi Model B (1st-gen - 2012) ("ryo-ohki") - Arch Linux ARM
---

Killerbee

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:42 pm

dom wrote:
Brizzel wrote:This is exactly what I wanted to use my Pi for ie to play music & radio through my amp. However, the "pop" issue sounds like a stopper, since I'm sure it will drive me nuts if this happens at the start of every song. Is there a fix for it?
Try updating firmware and report back.
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... g_firmware
I used rpi-update to update the firmware but now sound (sqeeuzeslave) is horrible :?
Actually it's not what I call music just noise.

My kernel:

Code: Select all

Linux RaspberryPi 3.1.9+ #138 PREEMPT Tue Jun 26 16:27:52 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux
My Firmware:

Jun 24 2012 19:34:48 
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 321373 (release)
Best regards
KB

gordonendersby

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:39 pm

tawalker
Im running squeezeslave on the raspi as part of the Squeezeplug sd card image as per my first post.

Gordon

truehl

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:46 pm

Killerbee wrote:I used rpi-update to update the firmware but now sound (sqeeuzeslave) is horrible :?
Actually it's not what I call music just noise.
Hi Killerbee,
you are right, I've also update my kernel #138 and there is nothing like "noise"! The last kernel I've tested was kernel #122 without issues (I'm not sure I've tested analog and HDMI, but I'm sure I tested HDMI.

So I don't know how to come back to an earlier kernel! You have to use the original SqueezePlug Image and it will work! B.T.W: how do I get the status of firmware?

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl

Killerbee

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:32 pm

truehl wrote: B.T.W: how do I get the status of firmware?

/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd version
found in the wiki http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... g_firmware

Yes I was talking about the "headphone plug". Didn't try the hdmi audio.

Kb

truehl

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi Folks,
some good news: I will add two more goodies to SqueezePlug:

1. Shairport
Shairport is a AirTunes player. With Shairport you are able to "beam" music from iTunes (on your PC) or from any iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod) to the Raspberry Pi. So you can use RPi as a Player device for iTunes. I'm still testing it it seems to work. It runs as a daemon on RPi with very less CPU load (about 7 % average). Right now Shairport don't run stable for me. Music-playback stops after a while and you have to start again. Did someone else see such problems?

2. forked-daapd
forked-daapd is a iTunes Server which should also be able to run as a player. I could not test the player functionality but server works.

Is there someone out there to help me to get these two programs to work? Please tell me if you got one of those programs working stable. These programs really could improve the project!

Have fun,
Thomas
truehl

Hairlocks

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:17 am

Finally got my RPI Friday and this is the first thing I want to get working to replace my Pure Evoke Flow.

I have the LMS running on a x86 debian install. The main use is in the following order.

1. Alarm clock to listen to live BBC radio 4 in the morning. This does not work.
2. Play back BBC radio4 podcasts. mp3 format. This works.
3. Play back scraped iplayer downloads. aac format. This does not work.
4. Play back music collection. mostly mp3s and flac. untested.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to get the BBC radio aac streams to play on squeeze player. I have tried all sorts of logging on and com to the following conclusions.

1. The raspberry pi is not complied to accept and play and aac stream. (it is a option but is in beta).
2. I therefore need to trancode from aac to something else like mp3 for pcm on the LMS.
3. LMS states, that it didn't find any command matches for type: aac

Slim::Player::TranscodingHelper::getConvertCommand2 (428) Matched: aac->mp3 via: [faad] -q -w -f 1 $FILE$ | [lame] --silent -q $QUALITY$ $BITRATE$ - -
[12-06-26 23:44:09.2822] Slim::Player::TranscodingHelper::getConvertCommand2 (425) Error: Didn't find any command matches for type: aac
[12-06-26 23:44:09.2846] Slim::Player::TranscodingHelper::getConvertCommand2 (428) Matched: aac->mp3 via: [faad] -q -w -f 1 $FILE$ | [lame] --silent -q $QUALITY$ $BITRATE$ - -

Can anyone point in the right dirrection to solve this? I am running LMS version 7.7.2

Hairlocks

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:08 pm

just incase someone find my previous post via google. My LMS is running on a 64 bit linux box so I needed to install the ia32_libs package so the LMS provided faad and flac decoders can work. No idea why aptitude didn't install it for me though.

pleuriskind

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:26 am

hi guys maybe a little question

i installing the squeezeplug
only the sound go's via my hdmi
can i set it to my mini jacket??

thnx :oops:

Hairlocks

Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:44 pm

I am using the audio jack out. I don't have any hdmi capabilty.

try running the command

amixer set PCM 90% umute

Return to “Media centres”