singinglarvae

Pi as a X-Car link

Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:57 pm

Hi,

I would need few advices for my ongoing project. The goal is to use a Pi as a X-car link for my car (a Renault Megane II). Basically a X-car link is used to to “fool” the stock radio, sending it any audio signal (coming from a jack, a bluetooth device and so) and making it recognisable as a normal CD charger signal.

My plan is the following :
  1. *Setup the Pi as an audio bluetooth sink > Done
    *Starting and stopping the Pi in the same time as the radio > Almost done (I am waiting for some parts to perform the final testing)
    *Sending the SPDIF signal (I will use the signal from a USB to S/PDIF card) to the head unit > almost done, but...
AFAIK, the radio does not only need the audio signal but waits for what is called a CDC signal... My plan is to make use of the Tuner List CD Changer Emulator project ; using their Python software embed on the Pi and a piece of hardware to connect the computer to the car's audio system.

But this last design is for a standard RS232 connection... Would it works on the PL011 UART from the Pi with the following adjustments (based on a voltage divider)?
I confess, I am far from being an electronician and I would need a hand or at least, a clue :-)

Thanks!

qnamrc

Re: Pi as a X-Car link

Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi, I want to do a similar project, my project will be like a project that I think help you
http://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic2847566.html

In that project the CD signal (RX and tx) is connect to gpio directly.
The SW emulator is written in C and is on github

I hope that help you.

Marco

singinglarvae

Re: Pi as a X-Car link

Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:13 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the link! I was aware of this project, but I did not get time to have a decent look at the code and electronic schemes. But I was amazed by the overall result and functionnalities!

I will follow your advice and have a look in the C code of the SW emulator.

I was lately working on my usb DAC: it tooks to me 2 to 3 days to discover a typo in one of my config file (.... :oops: ). At least, things are working now!

Return to “Media centres”