mikerhiggins

miniDLNA for RPi Debian Squeeze

Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:00 am

Hi there,

After struggling for a while trying to get various UPNP solutions set up on my Pi (mainly due to my ineptitude rather than the difficulty of the task), I have finally got MiniDLNA set up and running, thanks to the instructions here:

http://www.senab.co.uk/2012/06/09/raspb ... rver-pt-1/

It clearly explains how to install the dependencies, get an external drive mounted and to install and configure MiniDLNA.

obarthelemy

Re: miniDLNA for RPi Debian Squeeze

Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks for the link !

I small quirk I found with miniDLNA is that it puts all its shares at the root, ie if you do like the tutorial does, you'll end up with your music, pics and videos all mixed up at the root dlna folder. I went around that setting upa "DLNA shares" dir, and populating it with aliases (or whatever the Linux name for them is) to the dirs I want to share. That way miniDLNA's "all folders" displays a neat list of.. all my folerds, instead of a mishmash of unrelated files.

Daz555

Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:51 am

miniDLNA.

So, if I get this running on my RPi, will I be able to send photos and videos from my phone to my TV? My phone is DLNA compatible of course.

mikerhiggins

Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:07 pm

MiniDLNA is a DLNA server app, so you can probably view photos, listen to music from a drive attached to your Pi on your phone...

In order to view files from your phone on your tv, you'd need to install a uPNP/DLNA server on your phone, and then use a client (like VLC) on the Pi...

Daz555

Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:05 pm

I know that if I had a DLNA TV I would be able to select my TV as the "output" for any video or photos etc that I choose to view via my phone. That is what I'd like to achieve with my RPi - have it appear as a DLNA player on my network.

obarthelemy

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:52 am

xbmc is a dlna player being ported to the Pi

ScorpAL

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:09 am

mikerhiggins wrote:Hi there,

After struggling for a while trying to get various UPNP solutions set up on my Pi (mainly due to my ineptitude rather than the difficulty of the task), I have finally got MiniDLNA set up and running, thanks to the instructions here:

http://www.senab.co.uk/2012/06/09/raspb ... rver-pt-1/

It clearly explains how to install the dependencies, get an external drive mounted and to install and configure MiniDLNA.

404 Not Found :(

stevepdp

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:16 am

Google Cache has it.

Daz555

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:35 pm

mikerhiggins wrote:MiniDLNA is a DLNA server app, so you can probably view photos, listen to music from a drive attached to your Pi on your phone...

In order to view files from your phone on your tv, you'd need to install a uPNP/DLNA server on your phone, and then use a client (like VLC) on the Pi...
I have a Desire HD which is a DLNA server out of the box. So are we saying right now that the Pi is not able to function as a DLNA player?

ghans

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:33 am

We're saying the opposite. Search for XBMC , as already mentioned.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Media centres”