OzzyPi

mini itx psu

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:46 am

just a hypothetical question...possibility of using one of these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-DC-DC-12 ... =RTM839189

to power a media box ie Pi + HDD + Blu Ray? Please be gentle I'm a total noob at this :?

normal

Re: mini itx psu

Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:02 am

This is overkill for the PI. You're better off just powering everything individially, its much safer.

OzzyPi

Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:19 am

Can you suggest a more appropriate power source? I am trying to avoid multiple power inputs to the unit

gruso

Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:43 am

I have to disagree with normal. If you're building a box to contain HDD and optical drive, that seems to me like it's the ideal type of power supply. I would suggest going through a local supplier though, search here: www.staticice.com.au

You want to know that you're getting a properly regulated power supply, and buying from an unknown Chinese ebay seller can be risky in that regard.

obarthelemy

Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:53 am

The pi takes 2W tops. A typical HDD, 10W. No clue about an optical, let's say 10W. This 120W PSU will be operating so much below spec that its efficiency will be horrendous.
There are similar PSUs with a lower wattage. I think the best known brand is picoPSU. I used a couple inside miniITX boxes with no issues. They do require an external, laptop-style power brick. A good specialty supplier is LogicSupply. No clue if they have a presence in .au

OzzyPi

Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:28 am

I found a couple of local sources for 80w psu.... do you guys think that that is still to excessive?

bircoe

Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:03 pm

obarthelemy, why does efficiency matter? Fact is it will do the job he is asking and have headroom to spare... unless he is looking at running the set-up off solar or batteries efficiency doesn't need come into the discussion.

OzzyPi, I've ordered from these guys in the past, nice quick delivery and prices are reasonable. They used to do a 60w model which is now discontinued, I have one here which is being used as a replacement PSU in a Sega Dreamcast.

http://www.mini-box.com.au/PICOPSU-80.html

root_me

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi OzzyPi

Looking into this myself i think the most important part of your idea is that the power supply you mentioned in your first post is 12v dc which steps down to 5v needed for the PI. Using a power brick will save room, will be moduler as it will be outside of the casing, but the itx psu wouldnt produce too much heat as the plug used to step down from 240 to 12v will do alot of the work. I think your onto something here, if you fancy working on this together let us know. An itx case might even do for what i need for now until a more compact solution can be thought off.

mcscruff

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:35 pm

I am not sure about the power, but i have looked at different ways and have decided on a powered hub (7 ports) as this can run external usb hdd (2.5") . But i am unsure a blu-ray would work as linux is unable to play blu-ray discs

root_me

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:45 pm

@mcscruff

Yeah, no true native support for blue-ray yet :D but solutions are out there without hacking the firmware of the blueray player.

bircoe

Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:36 am

Not entirely true, there are many projects that can play back unencrypted Blurays... the keyword there being "unencrypted", things like XBMC support the BD structure however there is no native Bluray decrypt-er available due to the way BD licencing is handled, if you were to decrypt a BD first using something like AnyDVD HD and output a non encrypted disc, this should work in players that support BD under Linux catch is for the foreseeable future you won't be able to pop in a feature film disc and have it playback!

root_me

Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:28 pm

another way would be to stream it using a network protocal as long as you have a media player that can take the stream; use something like MakeMKV to stream the disc, this will make the process allot easier, but is still not true native stupport. Havnt got round to testing this, seems like the best trick to bypass security and blue ray models, will let you know.

Player: OPEN VLC
Streamer: Make MKV
Required Tools and Libs: libc6-dev libssl-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libqt4-dev

pifab

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:47 am

I am planning to use a Pico PSU, so I just revive this thread.

I want to use my Pi as a mediacentre like OzzyPi, so right now there are following parts connected to my Pi:
- Goobay USB Charger with 5V, 2A
- EDIMAX EW-7811UN Wireless USB Adapter
- Western Digital WD30EZRX Green 3TB in an external HDD-Case (12V, 2A)
- an old 1,5TB external HDD (12V, 2A)
- powered USB-Hub (5V, 2,6A)

Maybe someday I will buy another WD 3TB hard-drive and a blue-ray-player.

So my thoughts are: buy a PicoPSU 80W, buy several Molex Y-Adapters to connect my 12V HDDs and use one molex adapter to power the Pi by using only the 5V-part.
Questions:
1. How do I connect the HDDs to the USB-Hub?
2. Could I connect a power switch to the PicoPSU?
3. Is it even possible to realize my thoughts?

Or should I buy a powered USB-Hub and use y-adapter to power the hdds?
Or could I use one of the external HDDs power supplies and build my own y-adapter for 12V and 5V?

As you can see I am not an expert in all these things and my english is not that good as well. But connecting a few cables or do some soldering shouldn't be a problem ;)

Thanks

pifab

Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:53 pm

I know I need a SATA to USB-Adapter, but they need external power supplies as well..

Should I just buy a power supply which delivers 12V and about 10A to power all my devices and use UBECs to get 5V for my Raspberry Pi and the USB-Hub?

Any Ideas?

forumisto

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:20 am

OzzyPi wrote:just a hypothetical question...possibility of using one of these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-DC-DC-12 ... =RTM839189

to power a media box ie Pi + HDD + Blu Ray? Please be gentle I'm a total noob at this :?
so expensive for the Rpi

sir8472

Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:47 am

I am planning the same project with an old 120w PSU from an miniQ PC.

I found some Sata to USB adapters on eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-3-5-SATA- ... 484280c689

I'll probably run a USB hub from the power supply too and run 4 desktop drives.

Currently unsure if I will be running the 5V standby line into the Pi's GPIO pins or wiring in a micro sub cable to the 5V of the power supply.

The hard drives may benefit from a fan too.

I'm not worried too much about cost, I just want to learn and have some fun building something.

pifab

Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:28 pm

Currently I am gathering stuff to do the same as sir8472.

I found an unused computer with a 400W psu. Good thing is: it doesn't require a dummy load . This psu powers up my Pi from the 5VSB which has a 2A output. From another broken psu I picked a power switch and enough cables to wire everything together. I just tried to connect the power switch to the green power on wire and to ground. Now I can use this switch to power up the whole psu including one fan and a dvd-player, which is connected via ide to usb adapter.
Next step will be to power up an usb-hub from the psu and adding a female atx connector which is connected to the power switch, so that you can easily swap the psu. Just like this: http://www.dansworkshop.com/2012/01/ben ... er-supply/, but not that big...
I would also like to add a power switch to the Pi for save shutdown.

tanyogi

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:34 am

Hmmm

Such an expense for such a inexpensive computer. I adopted a "thrifty" approach when looking for a PSU for my Pi. I tried a few 5V charger/PSU's (including an Ipod one) and decided that essentially they were rubbish... - i.e too much voltage drop and instability for the Pi.
Then I found this on ebay and it works a treat (it has been around a while so is well tested too).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1008007744

At $3.48 US including postage you would be hard pressed to find something better value.
Combined with this :
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Micro-USB-2- ... 1153901538
and then add a standard 12V adapter pack (good quality I used a 3A one)
For your Mini ITX system one or even two of the 5V power supplies will do the job - 3A rated.
Use the 12V from the power pack and 5V from this and supply your drives .
Hope this helps.

sir8472

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:38 am

Have you had any thoughts on a case to house all of the components pifab?

That link to the bench supply is really interesting. I was thinking about pulling a female atx connector off of an old motherboard so I could more easily wire it all up. I'm going to have to go ahead with that now I've seen someone else do it.

I picked up some power switches from CPC I'll be using to turn power on and off to the drives/usb hub but I too am going to need a power button to shutdown the Pi. I can't imagine it being too difficult to wire one up to the GPIO ports and have a daemon running in the background to detect button press and shut it down.

So far all my components have been tested spread across my desk so I am looking forward to making it as compact as possible. If I attempt to build a custom case it may even be worthy of posting it on bit-tech!

pifab

Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:47 pm

No, no thoughts about a case yet.. Maybe out of wood, cut with a cnc-machine we have at our school. Don't know if that's a good idea, as I don't want a burning pi case..

I don't think that one 12V 3A power supply will be enough to power all of my components.
As I already posted, I have the following parts:
- Pi Rev. 2.0
- Western Digital WD30EZRX Green 3TB (right now in an external HDD-Case) (12V, 2A)
- old 1,5TB SATA HDD (12V, 2A)
- old 250GB SATA HDD (5V, 0.46A + 12V, 0.56A)
- old internal DVD-Player (5V, 1.5A + 12V, 2A)
- powered USB-Hub (5V, 2.6A)

All of the HDDs need 5V and 12V.

Anyway, I like this USB-Step-Down-Buck, but I had to buy a 12V power supply with about 10A, right?

PS.: Sorry for my poor english..

tanyogi

Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:28 am

Pifab

The 12V 3A power supply only runs my Pi and I have externally powered drives, for your setup you will need more power.
I found an alternative if you are putting it in a box - I have used the USB version because it is an easy way to add a simple but effective power supply to my Pi.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Power-Co ... 460e98826b
or if you wanted to go completely overboard ...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8-40V-to-3-3 ... 5aef7d8f70
then just use the 12V from the adapter to supply one rail.

pifab

Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:28 pm

sir8472 wrote:Have you had any thoughts on a case to house all of the components pifab?

That link to the bench supply is really interesting. I was thinking about pulling a female atx connector off of an old motherboard so I could more easily wire it all up. I'm going to have to go ahead with that now I've seen someone else do it.

I picked up some power switches from CPC I'll be using to turn power on and off to the drives/usb hub but I too am going to need a power button to shutdown the Pi. I can't imagine it being too difficult to wire one up to the GPIO ports and have a daemon running in the background to detect button press and shut it down.

So far all my components have been tested spread across my desk so I am looking forward to making it as compact as possible. If I attempt to build a custom case it may even be worthy of posting it on bit-tech!
I would like to follow your progress and see how you get along.
I just stumbled on this page: http://www.built-to-spec.com/blog/2011/ ... e-of-a-pc/ The author is using a female atx connector with a a power on led and a resistor to start his atx psu.
I will stick to this method and use my atx psu as a power supply. I know it's overkill but I will be using the whole thing maybe 2 days a week.

tanyogi
These step down converters look good, but I don't want to spend more money in my project. I had to buy another power brick, etc. as well. Maybe one day I will buy another 3TB HDD and I think that 8A won't meet my requirements then.

Return to “Media centres”