Uk2us88

New media center

Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:25 am

Ok I've googled and read the forums and not sure I have the correct info so figured I'll just ask.

I want a simple media center to play movies.

Needs

Boot from hdd
Remote with iPad
Movies to be played from hdd

What's the best way to approach this?

Not scared of in depth work to get best results!

Thanks!

fruitoftheloom

Re: New media center

Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:26 pm

A) can not boot from Hard Drive, the boot files need to be on a SD Card for Pi to boot up:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 27&t=48021

B) XMBC Operating System either OpenElec or Raspbmc

C) XMBC iPad Remote: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/officia ... 80364?mt=8
Adieu

Uk2us88

Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:16 pm

Thanks got everything I need. I went with the openlec and it's working. Only problem now is when I add my external hdd to the rasberry pi, meaning plugging into the USB port it boots however everything stops responding.

Do I need to format the hdd anyway? It's a wd passport if that matters

Thanks'

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:24 pm

Uk2us88 wrote:Thanks got everything I need. I went with the openlec and it's working. Only problem now is when I add my external hdd to the rasberry pi, meaning plugging into the USB port it boots however everything stops responding.

Do I need to format the hdd anyway? It's a wd passport if that matters

Thanks'
What is the Power Supply you are using with the Pi ?
Adieu

Uk2us88

Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:37 pm

Micro USB. I noticed that it "reboots" when plugging the drive in as well.

Crootie

Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:39 am

If I am correct, you are using a USB powered drive. Try using a powered external drive.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:20 am

Uk2us88 wrote:Micro USB. I noticed that it "reboots" when plugging the drive in as well.
Power Supply you need a quality one with at least 5V 1A and then measure TPi - TP2 voltage as per:

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... r_problems

USB Peripherals should ideally be plugged into a quality USB Mains Powered Hub:

http://elinux.org/RPi_Powered_USB_Hubs

USB Hard Drive should be Mains Powered

I never plug-in and un-plug from the USB on the Pi when it is powered, have always used a USB Hub !
Adieu

rowdy_white tiger

Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:30 am

I'm currently building a raspberry pi media server. I also wanted to try and build a raspberry pi media player. In the end i saw that you specifically wanted it to run off of a hdd, but my plan/ experiment is to connect the Pi media player to the server. Do you think that the interface of OpenELEC could support a function such as connecting to a server?

drgeoff

Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:53 pm

rowdy_white tiger wrote:I'm currently building a raspberry pi media server. I also wanted to try and build a raspberry pi media player. In the end i saw that you specifically wanted it to run off of a hdd, but my plan/ experiment is to connect the Pi media player to the server. Do you think that the interface of OpenELEC could support a function such as connecting to a server?
Yes, XBMC (the basis of RaspBMC and OpenELEC) supports adding servers as media sources.

Uk2us88

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:33 pm

I ended up simply sharing from my main pc to the "media Center". seems to work rather well.

Now to see what other cool tricks this thing can do for me.

Thanks for everyone's input. great little device!

NedTheNerd

Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:48 pm

If you just want to just play media and you have a PC/Server then go with Rasplex and Plex Media Server, less fiddly than XBMC varieties for the PI. See http://www.rasplex.com.

I switched from XBMC after using it for years, wanted something simpler.

I have a Pi running Rasplex connected to each of my 3 TV's, it plays high bitrate 1080p xvid, mp4, mkv files and supports AC3 or DTS over HDMI, and is controlled with the TV remote using CEC or any iOS device, it's also a very wife-friendly media player.

Also supports Music and Photos and automatically uploads photos from iOS devices.

Regards
Hardware: 1xRPi B 256Mb running Musicbox, 2 x RPi2's running Rasplex, RPi B+ running mail and web services, RPi2 running Plex Media Server

Marcel.tiago

Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:32 pm

Still related to the media center... Can RPi accept both FAT32 and NTFS file systems on an external HD?

Another doubt: I need to plug an external HD to play movies. I think the RPi USB ports do not have enough power to run the drive, right?
Is it possible to power a Samsung Portable M3 HD using a Y-type USB cable? (data+power to HD)

Thanks a lot!

masterluke

Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:51 pm

Yes both NTFS and FAT32 will work fine.

No I don't think a "Y" usb cable will help. You will probably need either a powered USB drive, or a powered USB hub.

Marcel.tiago

Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:48 pm

masterluke wrote:Yes both NTFS and FAT32 will work fine.

No I don't think a "Y" usb cable will help. You will probably need either a powered USB drive, or a powered USB hub.
Actually... I plugged the HDD directly to the RPi and it worked fine!
I made some tests playing 1080p movies and have no lag or other problems.
This HDD (Samsung portable M3) consumes very low power and I fed the RPi with a reliable 5V/1A power block. (from Griffin Technology)

Return to “Media centres”