jtcweb

Dead Simple MP3 Player For Grandma

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:58 pm

I'm looking to create an extremely easy to use MP3 player for an elderly relative (not my Grandma but that made the title sound good). I'm thinking that it would have four buttons and no display. The buttons would be play music, play audio books, stop and skip. The music and audio books buttons would really be play folder 1 shuffled and play folder 2 shuffled and I would load the data up on the SD card and any updates would be done either by just plugging the SD card into another computer or plugging and keyboard & monitor into this unit.

Of course the Raspberry Pi sounds like a good option for this. Anyone out there interested in working on this project?

ame

Re: Dead Simple MP3 Player For Grandma

Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:04 pm

draiggoch

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:14 pm

After hours of messing about i finally got a pi that would automatically shuffle a playlist at boot so only one button was needed (the on and off wall switch). Mpg123 just wouldn't work for me at all so i added shuffle capability to the built in omxplayer. This was also done with no pi internet connection.

I'll write my steps so no one has to struggle with this (if you don't know how to do a step, google is your friend :D )

1) Flash Raspbian to a microsd/sd card

2)Download Python setup tools (this will allow you to install omxplayershuffle)
link: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools

3) Download Omxplayershuffle (this will let you shuffle your music easily using a simple command)
link: https://github.com/mrbidon/omxplayshuffle

4) Gather all your music in an mp3 format

5) Transfer the files from steps 1-4 to a usb

6) Make a music directory on your pi (a folder)

6) Transfer the files from a usb to the pi (make sure your music is in the music directory)

7) Extract and Install Python Setup tools first and then Omxplayershuffle (there are tutorials for extracting archives on a pi online and how to install each program on their respective websites)

8) navigate to the /etc directory of your pi then add the following to the end of your /etc/rc.local script:

cd "your music directory here"
omxplayshuffle

(the command to edit the script is "sudo nano rc.local")

WARNING - it will be hard to modify anything on your pi after step 9 so make sure you have all of your music in place.

9) Reboot your pi

10) Plug in a speaker to your headphone jack and to the wall/usb port on your pi (if it provides enough power), set the volume of your speaker to something comfortable if your build is for someone who won't be able to work the volume switch, otherwise the volume switch on your speaker will be used to control the volume.

Bonus: 11) You could Build a shell around your setup and add an on and off switch that controls the power to the unit that's separate from the one on the wall in order to make this more of a unit.

Good luck!

Imperf3kt

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:42 pm

How are you turning the Pi off? Using the "wall switch" is a perfect recipe for crème la uSD corruption
Stop plugging your fan directly into the GPIO 5v
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/power/transient-suppression.html

karrika

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:06 pm

Why not just grab fruitbox? Grandma remembers how to use it from her childhood :D

Return to “Media centres”