Freepost

Can't see MKV files

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:54 pm

Hi, My first post .... hello everybody :)

Now my reason for posting ...... I have for the past weeks been running xbmc "Gotham" on a media PC in my lounge that streams content from another PC in my household. Works well apart from an occasional buffering problem. However the reason for testing xbmc on the PC was, if it worked well, to replace the media PC with a raspberry Pi running openelec & xbmc "Frodo". The raspberry Pi does work very well with streaming MP4 content but is unable to see any MKV files, even where MP4 and MKV files are in the same directory it can't see the MKV files, it's as if they do not exist.

Just to confuse the matter a little further, I have a Popcorn Hour in the house and the raspberry Pi can see and playback MKV files from there without any problems. Of course the problem would appear to be with the streaming PC in the other part of the house but in my original testing of xbmc on my lounge PC it works fine .................... is it a problem with "Frodo" or some other problem area that I should be focused on?

Also please be aware that my knowledge base is very very low so any answer may result in more, perhaps daft, questions.

Thanks

masterluke

Re: Can't see MKV files

Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:42 am

How are you streaming from the server? windows shared folder? NFS?
What are you streaming over? Wifi? cabled Ethernet?
How big\what bitrate are these MKVs?

Freepost

Re: Can't see MKV files

Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:04 pm

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me but eventually found a problem with permissions but why it allowed MP4s but not MKVs is beyond me but it's working now
Thanks
F.

Return to “Media centres”