oKINGYo

raspberry pi, raspbmc video buffering

Mon May 05, 2014 12:16 pm

Hello, noob here and I got a raspberry pi to set up as a server/media centre using raspbmc. I put it all together, set up raspbmc, got a mains powered usb 7 port hub and connected my drives to it (1x2tb, 1x3tb, 1x320gb and 1x160gb). I added all the files of various qualities and file extensions and most worked fine, except 1080p x264 .mp4s, after hours and hours of googling, and trying every conceivable suggestion by many people I still failed to get it to work without buffering/stuttering. So out of desperation today I tried a flash usb memory stick to see if that worked (thought maybe a data transfer issue from the mechanical hdds), I transfered a file to the drive and put the drive in the hub, still buffered. Finally as a last ditch effort I put the flash drive directly into the raspberry pi, bypassing the hub, and the video played flawlessly, so I then tried the hdds directly, and again the videos worked flawlessly. There are 2 reasons for creating this post, firstly to try to help anyone who was experiencing the issue I was and secondly to ask if anyone has any advice as to if it is just an issue with the specific hub, and if anyone can suggest a hub that will work in the way I'm trying to use it.

Apologies if is seems like I'm rambling on I'm just trying to give as much detail as I can.

gkreidl

Re: raspberry pi, raspbmc video buffering

Mon May 05, 2014 12:56 pm

things may add up: 7 port hubs are often two 4 port hubs chained together; that makes up to 3 hub stages (there's also a small hub in your RPi.)
Try switching ports; some may work better (belonging to the first stage). Or use two 4 port hubs, each connected on to one RPi USB connector. And if your HD is formatted in NTFS that may also add to the buffering problems.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

oKINGYo

Mon May 05, 2014 1:10 pm

Thanks for the reply, i have tried having only one drive connected to the hub and had the exact same problems, all of my hard drives are fat32, the flashdrive is ntfs however neither had and stutter/buffer when connected directly to the pi, but i will try a 4way hub when i get the chance.

masterluke

Mon May 05, 2014 2:45 pm

Out of interest.. what make\model is the hub?

Do you have another computer on the same network as the Pi? Perhaps you can attach the HDD's to that and share the data over a network to the Pi (NFS ideally due to low overheads). I play 1080p+DTS that way and it works great,

oKINGYo

Mon May 05, 2014 3:09 pm

The hub is unbranded but i used with my android box (minix neo x7) with no issues and every drive plugged into it. so it may be a compatibility issue with the usb hub, as i said if i connect the drives to the pi directly they work 1080p with dts no problems, ive even got my xbox 360 streaming a 720p film in the back ground and still no issues, whilst i was using the usb hub i couldnt even stream a movie at all let alone in the back ground, neither have not stopped or stuttered once, and as i know the hub works well with another device it must be a compatibility. I trawlled the net looking for a solution to my problem and think i have one (not ideal but a solution) thought it might help others who have the same issues i had. I do have a pc that i used before but im going for a discreet quiet low power option so i dont want to go back down that route, esp as my minix will network all well, i was just hoping to use the pi as a complete server in a cupboard with all the drives accessed via wifi so everything was neat and hidden. Happy to get another usb hub if there is a prooven option, should have said before 3 of my drives are mains and one is passport so power draw shouldnt be an issue

masterluke

Mon May 05, 2014 3:19 pm

Check out this thread if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 28&t=53832

... the output from "lsusb -t" might be interesting to see

oKINGYo

Mon May 05, 2014 3:28 pm

Unfortunately as far as the pi goes im an ultimate noob, i have seen loads of references to sudo and ssh, but have no clue what to do with it, but as it says not all usb devices are created equal, which is probably my problem, i have since tried anoter usb hub (7way mains powered) and suffered the same problems that said it was a cheap ebay import. Just seems strange that the orignal hub works on an android tv box (linux based im led to beleive) but not on raspbmc also linux based....however i will probably be corrected on both counts!

masterluke

Mon May 05, 2014 3:37 pm

Have you got a keyboard hooked up to it? If so in raspbmc you can just press escape when you are rebooting raspbmc (when the blue screen comes up. This will drop you out of xbmc into a terminal where you can logon user=pi" pass="raspberry".

You can enter commands here.

If you haven't got a keyboard then you need to connect in to a terminal over the network. If you have a windows box you can use putty to do that. Just put the Pi's IP address into putty and if should prompt you for a userid and password.

Sudo means "superuser do" - it is just a way of executing commands that require higher levels of permissions than the current user (pi in this instance).. a bit like "Run as Administator" in windows.

Good luck!

oKINGYo

Mon May 05, 2014 3:50 pm

Ahhh not as complicated as i first thought! I must give that a try when i have a little more time, i will report back with results....i should point out that i had no problems with standard definition video files or audio files and had keyboard and mouse attatched to the same hub. Will try the putty option and get back to you with what it says!

HiroProtagonist

Mon May 05, 2014 10:55 pm

oKINGYo wrote:i was just hoping to use the pi as a complete server in a cupboard with all the drives accessed via wifi so everything was neat and hidden.
Hi, Not sure what your usb problem might be. I have a similar setup which works flawlessly. One thing worth mentioning for when you do get it working: streaming 1080p over wifi may not work so well - it can work, but it tends to saturate the wifi, so any issues with interference, or other users will result in problems. Use wired ethernet if possible.

oKINGYo

Tue May 06, 2014 12:06 pm

Sorry i didnt explain very well, the pi was wired to the router, i wanted to be abke to access the files wirelessly from 2 android based xbmc clients, the raspberry pi wouldnt render the 1080p video locally until i removed the hub from the setup, for reference what hub to you have?

HiroProtagonist

Thu May 08, 2014 12:07 am

oKINGYo wrote:Sorry i didnt explain very well, the pi was wired to the router, i wanted to be abke to access the files wirelessly from 2 android based xbmc clients, the raspberry pi wouldnt render the 1080p video locally until i removed the hub from the setup, for reference what hub to you have?
I have a 7 port hub that reports itself as "Terminus Technology Inc. 4-Port HUB" *2. Connected to this I have 2* HDD [ext4] and 3 DVB-T tuners. This Pi acts as a headless server only.

My comments about wifi still stand - wifi has considerably higher latency than wired and while you may find serving one client works, 2 at once might be problematic - this is a wifi issue rather than anything to do with the Pi.

Return to “Media centres”