Nik911sc

Re: Apple Carplay

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:39 am

My understanding is Apple has moved away from an authentication chip to software keys so looks like this initiative will change direction.

Priestrich

Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:10 pm

actually i not tested yet but maybe u can install android auto onto pi and u just have to buy a “carplay usb dongle for android headunits” there are a lot on ali and etc.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:17 am

Priestrich wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:10 pm
actually i not tested yet but maybe u can install android auto onto pi and u just have to buy a “carplay usb dongle for android headunits” there are a lot on ali and etc.

I presume until someone pays £35.00:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32826755246.html

Then runs OprnAuto on a Raspberry Pi:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/andro ... -openauto/

Will never know if this workaround is feasible ????
Retired disgracefully.....

pedrofp

Wed May 15, 2019 7:35 am

I was under the impression that CarPlay is built around iOS Operating System, I do not believe anyone has attemped porting !
Nope! CarPlay is an API set that allows iOS apps that provide a CarPlay UI to be accessed on the CarPlay screen. Neither the hardware or software are from Apple, they're what the venders of CarPlay equipment, both OEM & aftermarket, choose to use. The apps accessed via CarPlay are running on the iOS device, just in the background on the device & presenting a UI on CarPlay. All of that applies to Android Auto as well. On equipment that supports both (which is most because vendors don't want to shut out potential customers), it's all on the same hardware with facets of the software addressing each API set.

Running CarPlay on Raspberry Pi is simply a matter of writing Pi code that fulfills the CarPlay API. The biggest block to running CarPlay on Raspberry Pi is having the API documentation.

di11on

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:07 pm

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I can confirm that I have the Raspberry Pi working with a car play dongle using Emteria (https://emteria.com/) Android version 0.7.1.

Issues at the moment:

- I am using the official 7" touchscreen which is working nicely in 0.7.1 but not in the latest version (0.8.1).
- I haven't yet tested sound and microphone, will report back when I have
- Bluetooth is not yet supported for the moment, you have to plug in to get car play working
- Waze is not working - it says the 'Navigation machine is not supported using the current settings'. It seems that Waze will only work with specific official in-car systems. Google maps works fine though

Edit: both microphone and audio out work using this device (tested my making a cellular call): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

fishred

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:51 am

That is strange. Similar setup, Waze works fine for me.

henninghh990

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:35 am

di11on wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:07 pm
Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I can confirm that I have the Raspberry Pi working with a car play dongle using Emteria (https://emteria.com/) Android version 0.7.1.

Issues at the moment:

- I am using the official 7" touchscreen which is working nicely in 0.7.1 but not in the latest version (0.8.1).
- I haven't yet tested sound and microphone, will report back when I have
- Bluetooth is not yet supported for the moment, you have to plug in to get car play working
- Waze is not working - it says the 'Navigation machine is not supported using the current settings'. It seems that Waze will only work with specific official in-car systems. Google maps works fine though

Edit: both microphone and audio out work using this device (tested my making a cellular call): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

I'm using CarPlay on Emteria as well. Though there are some things I have yet to solve, like audio quality, ignition and steering wheel controls.
The audio quality is really poor using a simple 12V amp, but it's good when I connect the phone directly to the jack. There are a lot of noise from the second I start the Pi.

I'm considering this from CONNECTS2 to get the steering wheel controls working through CAN:
https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CTSAD00C.2
Thoughts?
fishred wrote:
I'm using an 12V to 5V power converter, which only gives me 3A. So the "Navigation machine does not...." message shows for me in both Maps and Google Maps using other modes than "Compatible mode".

I've ordered a 10A power converter hoping that will change things. The dongle requires 1A.

di11on

Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:26 pm

fishred wrote:
Interesting - I looked up Waze support for Carplay and concluded it was hardwired to be only compatible with recognized official factory head units... but this must not be the case if you got it working. Interestingly, it does mention "with the current settings". Did you have to change any default settings to get it working?

@henninghh990 : regarding ignition - for now I just have my pi powered on an ignition only circuit - but I fully understand the hazards. I actually bought this which does everything we want, but this will be the next phase for me: https://www.tindie.com/products/picotou ... w-version/

di11on

Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:23 pm

fishred wrote:
After more testing, I started getting the same error in Google Maps when music is simultaneously playing. I can choose a destination and it shows the route preview, but as soon as I click go, I hear the audio start to get choppy and cut out and then I get this message: "The navigation machine does not support the current settings. Disconnect your phone and enter the settings page to select compatible mode"

This is the USB audio mic/speaker splitter I'm using.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Did you encounter this problem at all? Did you have to play around with any of the AutoKit settings? It seems to be that when the box detects a processor bottleneck, it seems to throw this error. Definitely seems like the processor is struggling because of the choppy audio.

henninghh990

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:13 am

di11on wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:23 pm
After more testing, I started getting the same error in Google Maps when music is simultaneously playing. I can choose a destination and it shows the route preview, but as soon as I click go, I hear the audio start to get choppy and cut out and then I get this message: "The navigation machine does not support the current settings. Disconnect your phone and enter the settings page to select compatible mode"

This is the USB audio mic/speaker splitter I'm using.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Did you encounter this problem at all? Did you have to play around with any of the AutoKit settings? It seems to be that when the box detects a processor bottleneck, it seems to throw this error. Definitely seems like the processor is struggling because of the choppy audio.
What type of 12V power converter are you using?

di11on

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:03 am

henninghh990 wrote:
I'm using a USB cigarette lighter plug... but I also have this : https://www.tindie.com/products/picotou ... w-version/

henninghh990

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:42 am

di11on wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:03 am
henninghh990 wrote:
I'm using a USB cigarette lighter plug... but I also have this : https://www.tindie.com/products/picotou ... w-version/
And what's the output ampere on the USB cigarette plug?

di11on

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:43 am

henninghh990 wrote:
3A - is that sufficient?

I've used it with a 2.1A rated ipad charger without any problems.

henninghh990

Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:05 pm

di11on wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:43 am
henninghh990 wrote:
3A - is that sufficient?

I've used it with a 2.1A rated ipad charger without any problems.
I don't think that's sufficent. The Pi uses 2.5A and the dongle uses 1A.
My power converter is also 3A, which gives me the error message if I dont use Compatible mode

di11on

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:18 pm

Ah, thanks for that. What is compatible mode and how do I enable it?

henninghh990

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:50 am

di11on wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:18 pm
Ah, thanks for that. What is compatible mode and how do I enable it?
When you launch AutoKit without your phone connected, you'll see a screen that says "Please connect phone". In the top left corner there's a settings icon (cog). Just go there, and at the top you'll see three choices for modes (Speed, Fluency and Compatible). Compatible is slow and laggy, but at least it works when there's not enough power.

If you cant see this mode, head over to the Android settings > Display and adjust the font size to the lowest. That way all items on the screen will get smaller so that stuff fits on your screen (e.g. if you're using the RPI official touch screen).

di11on

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:18 pm

henninghh990 wrote:
If you cant see this mode, head over to the Android settings > Display and adjust the font size to the lowest. That way all items on the screen will get smaller so that stuff fits on your screen (e.g. if you're using the RPI official touch screen).
That was it - I couldn't see it... I will have to reduce the font size - hopefully that works better. Must try getting a higher rated USB adapter... did you have any luck with the 10A one?

Looking forward to bluetooth support on for the Pi on Emteria

Cheers

di11on

Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:00 am

henninghh990 wrote:
I actually had to adjust the "display size" setting in addition to the font size setting in order to see the compatible mode settings. Working for me quite nicely now, Waze and Google maps. Having issues with my microphone... which is the last thing to sort out.

henninghh990

Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:17 am

di11on wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:18 pm
That was it - I couldn't see it... I will have to reduce the font size - hopefully that works better. Must try getting a higher rated USB adapter... did you have any luck with the 10A one?

Looking forward to bluetooth support on for the Pi on Emteria

Cheers
Sorry for the late reply!
I actually got it today, and so far "Fluency" works good. "Speed" doesn't work that well, the error message appeared once the phone connected.
di11on wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:00 am
I actually had to adjust the "display size" setting in addition to the font size setting in order to see the compatible mode settings. Working for me quite nicely now, Waze and Google maps. Having issues with my microphone... which is the last thing to sort out.
Yes, I just remembered incorrectly, display size is the right option. I haven't connected a microphone yet, so that's one thing I have to sort out too.

Return to “Media centres”