Nik911sc

Re: Apple Carplay

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:39 am

My understanding is Apple has moved away from an authentication chip to software keys so looks like this initiative will change direction.

Priestrich

Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:10 pm

actually i not tested yet but maybe u can install android auto onto pi and u just have to buy a “carplay usb dongle for android headunits” there are a lot on ali and etc.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:17 am

Priestrich wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:10 pm
actually i not tested yet but maybe u can install android auto onto pi and u just have to buy a “carplay usb dongle for android headunits” there are a lot on ali and etc.

I presume until someone pays £35.00:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32826755246.html

Then runs OprnAuto on a Raspberry Pi:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/andro ... -openauto/

Will never know if this workaround is feasible ????
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

pedrofp

Wed May 15, 2019 7:35 am

I was under the impression that CarPlay is built around iOS Operating System, I do not believe anyone has attemped porting !
Nope! CarPlay is an API set that allows iOS apps that provide a CarPlay UI to be accessed on the CarPlay screen. Neither the hardware or software are from Apple, they're what the venders of CarPlay equipment, both OEM & aftermarket, choose to use. The apps accessed via CarPlay are running on the iOS device, just in the background on the device & presenting a UI on CarPlay. All of that applies to Android Auto as well. On equipment that supports both (which is most because vendors don't want to shut out potential customers), it's all on the same hardware with facets of the software addressing each API set.

Running CarPlay on Raspberry Pi is simply a matter of writing Pi code that fulfills the CarPlay API. The biggest block to running CarPlay on Raspberry Pi is having the API documentation.

Return to “Media centres”