acaonweb

Apple Carplay

Sat May 03, 2014 11:59 am

Hi guys!!
Just an idea Apple carplay is available for aftermarket.
It means Carplay could be available on every hardware.

It could be possible use raspberry for that??

Thanx in advance.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Apple Carplay

Sun May 04, 2014 5:21 am

I was under the impression that CarPlay is built around iOS Operating System, I do not believe anyone has attemped porting !
Adieu

acaonweb

Sun May 04, 2014 5:28 am

[
Well maybe you're right but I've read pioneer car audio updated only firmware on its car device to be compatible with carplay. Carplay is inside iOS 7 and the iPhone connected by wire transmit music, contact, gps navigation and Siri to the device.
For example AirPlay is working on openelec.

fruitoftheloom

Sun May 04, 2014 5:34 am

Connecting to a CarPlay device is certainly feasible, I was under the impression you wanted to install CarPlay !
Adieu

acaonweb

Sun May 04, 2014 5:38 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:Connecting to a CarPlay device is certainly feasible, I was under the impression you wanted to install CarPlay !
No no, I'd like to have raspberry with a 7inch touch display connected to iPhone using carplay standard :D

ghans

Sun May 04, 2014 7:26 am

Well , unless Linux Carplay software drops from the sky , the
disucussion is moot.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

acaonweb

Sun May 04, 2014 7:32 am

ghans wrote:Well , unless Linux Carplay software drops from the sky , the
disucussion is moot.

ghans
what?

fruitoftheloom

Sun May 04, 2014 9:31 am

CarPlay is basically running on the iPhone and the client ie in-car infotainment system is tethered.

The issue here is that the Client Software is not " open-source" and to be honet most of what CarPlay does can already be achieved though not in a single software package. If you could reverse engineer the Client App I am sure it may be useful, but would not see it as a high priority to any Linux Guru's..
Adieu

acaonweb

Sun May 04, 2014 9:53 am

Well, i think Carplay is something like AirPlay... and xbmc (and openelec too) offers support to this technology (airplay).
it was only a suggestion to bring Rasp to another level, because i'm talking from a user point of view.

ghans

Sun May 04, 2014 1:54 pm

Obviously a gap in the market , perhaps the VMLite guys will
fill it ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

acaonweb

Sun May 04, 2014 7:13 pm

ghans wrote:Obviously a gap in the market , perhaps the VMLite guys will
fill it ?

ghans
What do u mean?

ghans

Mon May 05, 2014 7:17 am

VMLite released the first working Airplay Mirroring reciever for the Pi , so i wonder whether they are interested
in a Carplay reciever ? You might want to contact them.

ghans

acaonweb

Mon May 05, 2014 8:18 am

ghans wrote:VMLite released the first working Airplay Mirroring reciever for the Pi , so i wonder whether they are interested

ghans
ok, thanx
F.

acaonweb

Tue May 06, 2014 2:16 pm

ghans wrote:VMLite released the first working Airplay Mirroring reciever for the Pi , so i wonder whether they are interested

ghans
http://www.vmlite.com/
?? this guys?

ghans

Tue May 06, 2014 2:20 pm

Yes.

pedrofp

Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:28 am

acaonweb wrote:
Sat May 03, 2014 11:59 am
Hi guys!!
Just an idea Apple carplay is available for aftermarket.
It means Carplay could be available on every hardware.

It could be possible use raspberry for that??

Thanx in advance.
This should be feasible & I'm seriously looking into it. CarPlay isn't Apple software, but an API that implementers (primarily car makers & aftermarket in car entertainment makers) address in code on whatever underlying platform they use. All OEM implementations, & at least most aftermarket, support Android Auto on the same hardware & OS as their CarPlay. To the best of my knowledge ARM64 is the most common hardware platform.

I'm very much interested in being part of an open source effort towards CarPlay on Raspberry Pi, & would favour Swift as the language.

formula98

Wed May 09, 2018 3:18 pm

Is there an progress on this subject. I'm very interested in adding Apple Carplay as I've been looking to add this to my motorcycle. I'm following this post.

nisaar

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:43 am

I'm also very interested in this. I have 2010 factory nav system and it's not the greatest. Would like to have a simple solution of attaching an apple carplay input to the existing screen or as an app.

xenirox

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:08 pm

I'm also interested in this build :D

manvirrr

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:57 am

Hi,

It is my understanding that in order for Carplay to work on Raspberry Pi, one needs an apple Accessory Authentication chip that raspberry pi needs to read and tell the IOS on the apple device about the chip that it read. From there on it is pretty straight forward. One needs to write code that communicates with the IOS. The protocol standard is defined in the MFi accessories guide available to all registered MFi entities. This code can be in any programming language and any platform of your choice.

The registration to MFi is available to any registered company that wishes to design and test the design of an apple accessory including carplay. The registration is free but you need a registered company to do the registration. Once you are registered in the MFi program you can also order very limited quantities of authentication chips from apple to test your design. You cannot manufacture these devices with this registration only design and test for a third party.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

coolj

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:50 pm

From March 2018 mfi is possible with software authentication, you don't need hardware for auth anymore.

veronnix

Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:39 am

The authentication will indeed be a tricky one to tackle. This project shows how another device has done the mfi authentication, which was then hijacked for communication over serial. https://github.com/ndusart/freedelity-lightning Implementation of the mentioned protocols (which presumably are also documented for mfi developers) should be a breeze from this point on.

Now that software authentication is possible, i'm sure it is still no easy task, but at least became much more promising to spoof. Maybe a construction where the Pi forewards authentication traffic to an actual authentic mfi carplay device somewhere on the internet, and then again hijacks the line, much like the usb hardware variant.

Can anyone point us to more documentation on wireless mfi authentication?

Return to “Media centres”