drjonvargas

Need help on an Old Time Radio Proyect

Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:11 am

hi, first of all I have to state that is my first project with raspberry pi, but before I buy one I need help on how to design it (software and hardware side).
Now right now I have an old radio (around 1940-50's) without any kind of electronics inside, and I was wondering if I can transform that "old case" into a music player with the raspberry pi. I have heard of Squeezeberry but I don't want it to have any type of led/lcd screen and I also don't want it to connect to the internet to look for the music files. I want to be able to plug an usb stick (with the music files) into the raspberry pi, boot it, and listen to the music. And finally I want to keep the old style of the radio, and update the 2 tuners sticks that it has and transform them into a volume, and next/previous controls.
I know that it can be done, I just need help since I'm a beginner into electronics and "raspberry pi software manipulation" xD
Sorry for my bad english and Thanks for everything =D

drjonvargas

Re: Need help on an Old Time Radio Proyect

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:30 pm

UPDATE: I am already solving the software side of the design (I'm thinking of use archlinux and a autostart on MPlayer) but I have a question. Is it possible to config MPlayer to automatically search for usb devices and play whatever music file there is? and also is it possible to config MPlayer to receive the input from the tuners (volume and next/previous)?

drjonvargas

Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:37 am

UPDATE: I've been making some progress now but I can't seem to find a good workaround to the: "automatically play the usb music" if anyone has an app that I can autostart and it auto-scans the usb and plays it, it would be great. I'm really having a hard time finding offline solutions to raspberry-pi's music player. I'm decided to finish this project but I really need some help on it. Just to know, How would you go on with this project? Any thoughts on the hardware/software side?

goobering

Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:15 pm

If there are a limited number of USB devices involved in this (i.e. you always use the same three or four USB sticks/drives), then Pavel Stárek's answer to this StackOverflow question might be an option:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2075 ... -pen-drive

You'll need to do a little further reading on how to assemble a shell script that'll identify and play sequential MP3s.

Return to “Media centres”